pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
kdccrosby wrote: I know. I know. I have been a bad PW.

How are you?

Doing good. You?

Some days are a total waste of makeup.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:You do understand we're talking over $3,000, don't you?

That's a big investment.

Guess they don't have "try it before you buy it"

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:That's a big investment.

Guess they don't have "try it before you buy it"

Nope.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Nope.

bummer.

I hate not being able to hear people. I bet I end up with hearing aids someday - because I already say "huh?" all of the time.

although sometimes that is b/c people mumble, or I'm just confused.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:bummer.

I hate not being able to hear people. I bet I end up with hearing aids someday - because I already say "huh?" all of the time.

although sometimes that is b/c people mumble, or I'm just confused.

A lot of times the volume's fine, I just don't understand the words.

How's everything with niece and nephew?

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Doing good. You?

weird. this post just showed up. After I post a comment, mine is the only post showing on the screen. Even if I hit refresh only my post shows.

I'm doing good - contrary to all of my family's stress.

Just to catch everyone up on why I've been missing - the short version:

Sister drama - moving out of a family owned house - family money issues and fighting (not me but I was in the middle)

Darling niece is pregnant. is enrolled in college for the fall. boyfriend has no motivation but to work in his kitchen job making no $. I have offered for them to live with me longer term so they can attend college. but they are young and therefore smarter than me. doubt they make it here past the first of the year.

Dad's health is not good. I'm moving him on Friday into some apartments near me (he is 1.5 hours away now). I've had to buy him a vehicle, and lot's of other stress there.

Co-manager decided to have stomach surgery - the sleeve I think - for weight loss and went out right when several of her projects were ending. So I have been doing her job most of the time and mine some, and both nights and weekends.

And... that is enough tour guideing. It's why I'm absent, but I made the decision not to worry about everyone else and take their stress on to myself.

So now you know where I've been. I'm not going to be negative Nancy and complain - but I wanted everyone to know.

On the upside - some of the stress is now going away! co-manager is back and I am dumping back on her left and right.

And I am up to about 60 or so lbs total weight loss. I've done some stress eating, but I'm getting back on track.

kdccrosby

For the short version - that was a really long post! And really whiny!!! lol

Edit: Nephew is doing well. Really into Athletics for school. Has been going to summer workouts and is in football camp this week.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:weird. this post just showed up. After I post a comment, mine is the only post showing on the screen. Even if I hit refresh only my post shows.

I'm doing good - contrary to all of my family's stress.

Just to catch everyone up on why I've been missing - the short version:

Sister drama - moving out of a family owned house - family money issues and fighting (not me but I was in the middle)

Darling niece is pregnant. is enrolled in college for the fall. boyfriend has no motivation but to work in his kitchen job making no $. I have offered for them to live with me longer term so they can attend college. but they are young and therefore smarter than me. doubt they make it here past the first of the year.

Dad's health is not good. I'm moving him on Friday into some apartments near me (he is 1.5 hours away now). I've had to buy him a vehicle, and lot's of other stress there.

Co-manager decided to have stomach surgery - the sleeve I think - for weight loss and went out right when several of her projects were ending. So I have been doing her job most of the time and mine some, and both nights and weekends.

And... that is enough tour guideing. It's why I'm absent, but I made the decision not to worry about everyone else and take their stress on to myself.

So now you know where I've been. I'm not going to be negative Nancy and complain - but I wanted everyone to know.

On the upside - some of the stress is now going away! co-manager is back and I am dumping back on her left and right.

And I am up to about 60 or so lbs total weight loss. I've done some stress eating, but I'm getting back on track.

Congratulations on handling everything. Sounds like you did and are doing a good job. And super congrats on the weight loss. That's fantastic.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Congratulations on handling everything. Sounds like you did and are doing a good job. And super congrats on the weight loss. That's fantastic.

Thanks! I thought I handled the pregnancy well. I was very disappointed - both in her and for her. but I didn't freak out and yell. Although I have cried some when she wasn't around.

Now I have had time, and I push aside the anger part when it comes and do my best to be excited. She is due in December. It's a boy.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:For the short version - that was a really long post! And really whiny!!! lol

Edit: Nephew is doing well. Really into Athletics for school. Has been going to summer workouts and is in football camp this week.

Whiny is allowed and encourged!
If not here, where?

60 lbs is great!

Eat tons of fruit for your stress eating. It's in season.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
kdccrosby wrote:Thanks! I thought I handled the pregnancy well. I was very disappointed - both in her and for her. but I didn't freak out and yell. Although I have cried some when she wasn't around.

Now I have had time, and I push aside the anger part when it comes and do my best to be excited. She is due in December. It's a boy.

Wow kdc! Deep breath and an adult beverage of your choice time!

I'm sorry to hear about niece. I suppose she is too in love with the baby to consider adoption or letting a relative (do you have a responsible relative) raise the child, at least until she gets through college.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:Wow kdc! Deep breath and an adult beverage of your choice time!

I'm sorry to hear about niece. I suppose she is too in love with the baby to consider adoption or letting a relative (do you have a responsible relative) raise the child, at least until she gets through college.

Yep.

We shall see if she takes me up on the rent-free offer for living with me to get through college. They think they have everything covered. They'll either make it or not. *shrug* I can no longer stress over it.

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:Whiny is allowed and encourged!
If not here, where?

60 lbs is great!

Eat tons of fruit for your stress eating. It's in season.

How's Rusty?

Did I tell y'all I adopted a schnauzer? Her name is Xena. Xena the warrior schnauzer. lol

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:How's Rusty?

Did I tell y'all I adopted a schnauzer? Her name is Xena. Xena the warrior schnauzer. lol

I think Xena was about where you left us

Poof - I understand hearing aids are expensive. If you get the right kind, making the sound clearer not just louder will make a difference, but it will sound weird for a bit.

Ice - PM replied (again)

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:I think Xena was about where you left us

Poof - I understand hearing aids are expensive. If you get the right kind, making the sound clearer not just louder will make a difference, but it will sound weird for a bit.

Ice - PM replied (again)

Yeah, I understand it's not completely like normal hearing.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:How's Rusty?

Puppy!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:Puppy!

She's pretty funny. Spoiled.

Aggressive towards other dogs when she is on the leash. She's territorial. No dog parks for us!

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Yeah, I understand it's not completely like normal hearing.

Most people don't realize that and a lot of people give up on them before they get through the adjustment period. I sadly know way more about them than I want to.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:She's pretty funny. Spoiled.

Aggressive towards other dogs when she is on the leash. She's territorial. No dog parks for us!

Rusty doesn't like aggressive small dogs on leash.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:Rusty doesn't like aggressive small dogs on leash.

I don't blame Rusty!

I'm working on the whole "Alpha" thing. I made some mistakes in the beginning. Schnauzers are pretty smart, and she thought she was the boss.

uh no.

so we are working on that.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:I don't blame Rusty!

I'm working on the whole "Alpha" thing. I made some mistakes in the beginning. Schnauzers are pretty smart, and she thought she was the boss.

uh no.

so we are working on that.

I met a little dog today. Old, like 12. Liked dogs. Didn't like people! That is odd. It is usually the other way around. Owner said she has to keep on her toes. The dog was so cute. People always tried to pet it, especially kids. She had to make sure nobody got too close.

1st dog that would't let me touch it in a long time.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

KtCallista

Bear or Cat?, which Ver3 opened because well it wasn't closed when it arrived. It was pretty much open on the side opposite of the label when it arrived (i.e. the bottom was a gaping hole!)

One filthy maroon XL shirt (no print) - this was in the opening when I picked the box up off the porch

One purple sunflower shopping bag - always useful

One hex bug arena, no bugs - which I keep thinking about getting the bugs for Ver1, but I haven't yet, she just doesn't really do toys for very long.

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:I met a little dog today. Old, like 12. Liked dogs. Didn't like people! That is odd. It is usually the other way around. Owner said she has to keep on her toes. The dog was so cute. People always tried to pet it, especially kids. She had to make sure nobody got too close.

1st dog that would't let me touch it in a long time.

Xena barks at people, but is friendly to almost all when they get close. The few she hasn't been that friendly to - well I thought they were shady too.

Headed to bed now. Night all!

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
pooflady wrote:Congratulations on handling everything. Sounds like you did and are doing a good job. And super congrats on the weight loss. That's fantastic.

Ditto and good to have you back!

In the end only kindness matters

Iceback

KtCallista wrote:

Ice - PM replied (again)

and back at ya

KtCallista

Iceback wrote:and back at ya

and back again

Time to put kids in bed. They get to go to the dentist tomorrow that'll be all kinds of not-fun.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Hi everyone. Back home in the cloudy but terribly hot east. Flew in on the red eye this morning and have been really dragging all day.

I am on my second set of hearing aids - the first were little ones that fit totally in the ear canal and cost about $5K. Over the long period, I was not awfully happy with them - and I went back to the audiologist so often, I think she was ready to quit. I just purchased the behind the ear variety - about $4K this time - and for me they are much worse actually. I do keep going for adjustments, but they just are not quite right. When I am alone with someone, I don't need them at all. When there is some noise in the environment, I still have a problem with hearing words correctly. The audiologist tells me that "they are fine." That makes me super angry because they are NOT fine. I doubt I will purchase any more. Of course, some folks need the kind that involves surgery and a device screwed into the skull. Nope, not going for that - too much of a coward! The costs of these little (and probably large) regular hearing aids is obscene imo for what you get out of them, but of course, this is simply my own very personal opinion based on the purchase of two sets costing just under 10K.

KtCallista

klozitshoper wrote:Hi everyone. Back home in the cloudy but terribly hot east. Flew in on the red eye this morning and have been really dragging all day.

I am on my second set of hearing aids - the first were little ones that fit totally in the ear canal and cost about $5K. Over the long period, I was not awfully happy with them - and I went back to the audiologist so often, I think she was ready to quit. I just purchased the behind the ear variety - about $4K this time - and for me they are much worse actually. I do keep going for adjustments, but they just are not quite right. When I am alone with someone, I don't need them at all. When there is some noise in the environment, I still have a problem with hearing words correctly. The audiologist tells me that "they are fine." That makes me super angry because they are NOT fine. I doubt I will purchase any more. Of course, some folks need the kind that involves surgery and a device screwed into the skull. Nope, not going for that - too much of a coward! The costs of these little (and probably large) regular hearing aids is obscene imo for what you get out of them, but of course, this is simply my own very personal opinion based on the purchase of two sets costing just under 10K.

Orc has been hearing impaired since probably birth, but got his first hearing aids at age 8. He can't function at all without them and even under the best of conditions background noise kills any comprehension. Right now he has the behind the ear kind, it does sound transitioning because he is completely deaf in some frequencies. Without the hearing aids (he went without for a few years because we couldn't afford them and he hates them) his hearing got significantly worse than it had in the decade prior (that was 2.5 years without). He might could get some marginal hearing back with the implants, but it wouldn't be much better and they cost more than we have, by a lot.

pooflady

This is not very reassuring.

Night all. Tomorrow.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:This is not very reassuring.

Night all. Tomorrow.

I'd seriously talk to Orc. He does have a hearing blog, it's more about being more deaf, but it may help.

http://hearsnoevil.blogspot.com
Snoop around, I can't remember which are the most helpful posts.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
KtCallista wrote:I'd seriously talk to Orc. He does have a hearing blog, it's more about being more deaf, but it may help.

http://hearsnoevil.blogspot.com
Snoop around, I can't remember which are the most helpful posts.

I keep wanting to write some detailed posts about fitting and using new hearing aids and all the specifics because it seems to be what people have the most questions/misunderstandings about. The short of it is, new digital aides are very complicated and require a knowledgeable and helpful audiologist. It is fine to go in once a week for three months to tweak them. It can also take your brain up to 6 months to adjust to the new normal. If you need to find a better audiologist, don't hesitate.

Iceback

Good morning all.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 502 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
ThunderThighs wrote:Good morning!

Hullo.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! Another hot day.

We bought a pineapple at the fruit stand over the weekend. Hubby preped it and I made a pineapple upside down cake. Yes in a cast iron skillet. It was yummy. There is one piece left. I will wait until after we go to the beach to snag it!

We also bought bell peppers so I baked stuffed peppers while the cake was cooking. No need to hot up the kitchen for just one dish.

edit: Good to see you Kid! I have missed you. Sounds like you are handling stuff really well. Poof, I can't hear the TV. I have to cut the volume up on my phone. Background noises make it much worse. I also smile and nod a lot. Sigh...

kdccrosby

Hi everyone!!

Joyner - your cooking is making my mouth water!

I made shredded buffalo chicken recently. The "buffalo" spicy but with shredded chicken and not all of the wing mess. Made great sandwiches and can be used for several other recipes.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
kdccrosby wrote:I made shredded buffalo chicken recently. The "buffalo" spicy but with shredded chicken and not all of the wing mess. Made great sandwiches and can be used for several other recipes.

That sounds delicious!

(Good morning everyone!)

I'm just hanging out, really.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Morning folks.

Why don't I know anyone who cooks?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Orcrist42 wrote:I keep wanting to write some detailed posts about fitting and using new hearing aids and all the specifics because it seems to be what people have the most questions/misunderstandings about. The short of it is, new digital aides are very complicated and require a knowledgeable and helpful audiologist. It is fine to go in once a week for three months to tweak them. It can also take your brain up to 6 months to adjust to the new normal. If you need to find a better audiologist, don't hesitate.

My mom heard the best the first week.
She hated it and made the audiologist dial it back. The audiologist tried her best to get mom back to that first setting, but it bother mom to actually hear.

That is why I think Poof should go for it. The longer you aren't hearing, the more comfortable you might get with no background noise.

I read as you get older the part of the brain that deals with background noise loses the ability to filter it out.

The whole hearing aids only work a few years and insurance won't pay is bullsh;t. It is the same with eyeglasses, but they aren't anywhere as expensive.

Why should people be disabled for no reason other than price.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!