WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Build A "Home Office" Before Your Parents Visit

You told your mom that "everybody works from home now," when she badgered you about lacking a real job. Well, now she's coming over and you better make it appear as though you actually work from home. Put the XBox in the drawer and grab some office crap. 

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

So who got one of these calculators and would like to review it for us?

I'm just hanging out, really.

LoneStar64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LoneStar64

Stay away from the Kodak printers. I had one less than a year and it quit printing. I called Kodak and they said they could not do anything without receipt (I understand that). We used ours about like you would a home printer and never abused it. I had a HP before that that is still going! 6 or 7 years. We switched to Kodak for a wireless printer. I would think a printer would last more than a year.

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge

I bought one of the Canon calculator mouses, and it works as advertised. Great concept, can do calculations, or act as a number pad for your computer, and does mousey functions well.

However, I found the buttons a little small for my stubby fingers, so I gave it to my brother, who used it for about 4 months. It sits in a drawer now.

I now use the Canon DK1000i II USB calculator with scroll wheel ($16 on Amazon) but only as a calculator.

Basically, you can get a mouse that can also function as a calculator sometimes, or you can get a calculator that can also function as a trackball sometimes.

If using with a laptop that doesn't have a numpad, or if you are short on desk space, they are worthwhile. But if you aren't short on room, there is little point to either one.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

Buying the Boogie Board for my 5 y/o nephew. It appears to be a fancy Etch-a-Sketch. Plus, he can practice his letters and numbers.

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam

In for two Boogie Boards. I hope woot gets the new version (the Jot), which has a higher contrast display, lock switch to prevent the screen from erasing, stylus storage, and a user-serviceable battery) for the same price - I may have to bite on that one.

I'm planning on using it when I'm doing helpdesk duty at work. It'll be a lot cleaner on my desk to have one thing to write down call notes on. Then I can make a ticket, wipe the slate, and go to the next call.

We'll see how it works IRL, of course...

clanecks

quality posts: 15 Private Messages clanecks

Isn't this more accurately described as "the stuff we couldn't sell last time"?

I am not responsible for this post.

thewave105

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewave105

Boogie Board looks like a good buy for youngsters. Here comes early xmas shopping.

dpware

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dpware

Boogie Board seems fairly useless. How come I want one?

abkraft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abkraft

Is there a way to save what you've written? Or is this just eco friendly scratch paper?

apocello42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages apocello42

The Boogie Board is great. This version basically can be used to replace all those scraps of paper with stuff quickly written on it. To-do lists, grocery lists, reminders, phone notes, keeping score, anything you write down temporarily. It's also fun to just doodle on because you don't have to deal with paper and smudging and it has much more feel than a stylus on a tablet.
If you look around you might be able to find a slightly better deal.
Essentially this thing has convinced me that I'll probably want to spend the money on the one that can save the drawings.

kimcheesan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kimcheesan
clanecks wrote:Isn't this more accurately described as "the stuff we couldn't sell last time"?

Umm...no. The boogie board sold out the last time, so if you want to be accurate you should describe it as, "some of the stuff we couldn't sell last time."

Actually, that's not even totally correct....but close enough.

And now I'm going to do my part to help sell out the booger board...in for two!

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
dpware wrote:Boogie Board seems fairly useless. How come I want one?

Ya, srsly. Can this thing be used like a Wacom tablet? Sounds too good to be true.

qxzlool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qxzlool
strawhousepig wrote:Ya, srsly. Can this thing be used like a Wacom tablet? Sounds too good to be true.

How do you hang it on the 'fridge?

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam
strawhousepig wrote:Ya, srsly. Can this thing be used like a Wacom tablet? Sounds too good to be true.

No. It is an e-ink style LCD made of plastic components (so it is much less likely to shatter, btw) that responds to touch.

There is no logic in the device. You cannot save your notes nor can you use the device as a digitizer for a computer. There is a reason why good digitizers cost hundreds of dollars - there's way more to them than this thing.

That being said, as someone else here noted, this thing is a great tool for people who constantly find themselves writing quick notes that don't need to be saved for more than a few minutes.