WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple MacBook Pro 17"

Speed to First Woot:
27m 59.001s
First Sucker:
jdyoung
Last Wooter to Woot:
time4love
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 23% of Tech Woots
Bottom 39% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 35% of Tech Woots
Bottom 45% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 33% first woot
  • 6% second woot
  • 14% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 26% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 28% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 10% one year old
  • 57% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
2%
2%
2%
1%
2%
4%
10%
5%
10%
5%
6%
9%
9%
6%
4%
4%
8%
8%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


demon00689


quality posts: 10 Private Messages demon00689

17 inch size no longer being made-- largest is now 15-- so these will probably get harder and harder to find in good shape.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I believe this is the same model as woot offered on November 15, 2012, except with a slightly different processor; the discussion has some very helpful comments. It's a mid-2010 model; here are the specs from EveryMac. It was offered directly from Apple for $1,679, although they're out of stock, so this looks like a decent price in comparison.

Because it's refurbished by Apple, it is eligible for AppleCare. This comes pre-installed with Snow Leopard; it's not eligible for a free upgrade to Mountain Lion, but it's only $19.99, so not that big of a deal.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

110mediadesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 110mediadesign

I have to say that I run all Macs in my office as well as personal computers. My main Mac that is in my office was purchased from Apple as a refurbished model almost two years ago and it has been nothing but a dream for me. I purchased the extra apple care plan from them, which basically covers everything that could possibly happen to the computer. I have a 2008 17" MacBook Pro and if the screen weren't crushed on it, I would still be using it.

Apple products last a long time, the technology that is put into them can continually be upgraded without having to replace the whole system. I have converted just about everyone I now to Macs and they never go back to PC's.

This is a decent deal, considering they don't make the larger 17" models anymore. Good luck if you have the funds to invest... honestly, you probably won't regret it!

enriquei


quality posts: 10 Private Messages enriquei

Will this make it to Cali Cali by the 9th if I order it?

viandroto


quality posts: 0 Private Messages viandroto

I love how people somehow think Mac has superior technology or something that is exclusive... Sure, they're better than an HP or Acer but those are cheaper computers... What kind of technology are you expecting to get with budget PCs.

cycobilly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cycobilly

Actually a pretty good deal, about $500 cheaper then the closest comp on Apple's website. Only dif is a bigger hd and a little bit faster. I have the previous 17" to this one and still runs as well and as fast as the day I got it. I am a film editor and it is great on location and since they aren't making 17" MacBook Pro's anymore, I'm thinking of buying a refurbed one just in case something happens to mine for a backup. I also have a 17" PC for my avid edit system which I normally prefer to edit with over FCP, except when I'm on location. But clients occasionally specify which system they would like the project to be edited on or else I wouldn't even own a windows machine, because I need to replace it every other year as it becomes obsolete and bogs down with a new OS and new software updates. Never mind all the other crap fanboys say, this is why I prefer a Mac over a PC, simply because of the realistic lifespan. It is definitely a lot of money upfront for a laptop, but for what you spend extra, you'll actually save in the long run for the simple reason that with a little care (coming from the guy that has dropped his on the cement more than once, resulting in only minor cosmetic damage) it will last for years not months.

zmh1175


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zmh1175

15 hundred for a PC?no way.what you can do for this low performance laptop? can you play game?I got a apply laptop 2 years ago because I heard some people say apply pc is very good but I have no idea how to use that sick OS.very stupid.and It has sit there for 2 years.I only used it for around 2 hours.Do not buy apply.waste money.Apply only spend 600 for this Laptop but selling for almost 1500.How stupid buyers in this world.

Sati


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sati

My MBP:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Memory: 8 GB


This baby is similar to my machine, which is the greatest computer I've owned (after a lot of nice, not budget, Windows machines). I am a pretty extreme user and this MacBook always stands up to my nerdy abuse. I adore the 17" and would not compromise the size for a little less weight. I hate a small screen. I certainly hope that Apple will once again make 17" laptops by the time I'm ready to upgrade. I got the anti-glare screen on mine, which is best for me too because all that shiny is really distracting to me. I also upgraded the RAM at the time of purchase and I can't recall what else... Anyhow, this seems like a good deal and I cannot recommend a machine like this enough! :-)

Zerxer


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zerxer

Apple product page for this specific model.

This is the April 2010 model, which is the 3rd-to-last 17" model made (there were two models released in 2011 after this one).

You can very easily upgrade the RAM yourself since 4GB is rather low. No need to go to Apple to have it done. Just unscrew the bottom and the RAM inside easily pops out and in.

Here is a 8GB RAM module compatible with this model as well as instructions on installing it (scroll down a little).

Source: I own the latest (and last) 17" model.

Kiashien


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Kiashien
110mediadesign wrote:I have to say that I run all Macs in my office as well as personal computers. My main Mac that is in my office was purchased from Apple as a refurbished model almost two years ago and it has been nothing but a dream for me. I purchased the extra apple care plan from them, which basically covers everything that could possibly happen to the computer. I have a 2008 17" MacBook Pro and if the screen weren't crushed on it, I would still be using it.

Apple products last a long time, the technology that is put into them can continually be upgraded without having to replace the whole system. I have converted just about everyone I now to Macs and they never go back to PC's.

This is a decent deal, considering they don't make the larger 17" models anymore. Good luck if you have the funds to invest... honestly, you probably won't regret it!




I.. am flabbergasted by comments like this.

My laptop cost $500 and is at least as powerful as this offering, if not more. It isn't a mac, and yes, it was from woot.

You are paying for the brand name, and sacrificing the ability to play games. If this is okay for your profession, and your stack runs on a mac, do it.

Otherwise... This isn't a macbook air. It isn't magically light, and it offers no real advantage over a normal laptop other than you spend more money to get less hardware and get the Apple brand on it.

Really, I'm somewhat annoyed that his is on woot at all. Apple is never a deal- at best, it's trading money for customer service. It's never trading money for hardware and the ability to run what you want.

Zerxer


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zerxer
Kiashien wrote:I.. am flabbergasted by comments like this.

My laptop cost $500 and is at least as powerful as this offering, if not more. It isn't a mac, and yes, it was from woot.

You are paying for the brand name, and sacrificing the ability to play games. If this is okay for your profession, and your stack runs on a mac, do it.

Otherwise... This isn't a macbook air. It isn't magically light, and it offers no real advantage over a normal laptop other than you spend more money to get less hardware and get the Apple brand on it.

Really, I'm somewhat annoyed that his is on woot at all. Apple is never a deal- at best, it's trading money for customer service. It's never trading money for hardware and the ability to run what you want.


Actually, Apple's design is much nicer than most anything else that's offered by other manufacturers. True, this can vary by a person's own tastes.

The screen is high quality; the multi-touch trackpad is unsurpassed by anything else offered out there; and of course, you're paying to use the OS and to be part of the Apple ecosystem. I'm not even going to try and jump in on the tech specs argument, as it's never a debate anyone wins.

But I know that my 2011 MBP has been a dream in terms of everyday work usage, which includes having 20+ tabs open in chrome 24/7, as well as several CPU-intensive apps that I almost never close. Never slows down or locks up at all, despite going weeks without rebooting it or closing the lid.

I've also ran a few Mac-compatible games on Steam (the amount of which is growing) and they all ran nicely. Of course, I use a custom built high-end rig for my actual gaming needs, but my point is that Apple does pack power and reliability in their products.

Edit: Of course, saying that you can continually upgrade the hardware inside without replacing the system is a bit exaggerated. The most you can usually upgrade in any laptop (Mac or otherwise) is the RAM/HDD, and even then Apple likes to solder most of their new stuff so you can't do it yourself.

monteh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages monteh

I will say this. I use both Apple and Windows products. As tech support I get both in broken states. One nod towards Apple as a tool for me, is the use of boot camp and running either OSX or Windows on the same machine. It is a very useful tool. I still have the dual core MBP and besides showing its age I have never regretted the purchase. Seriously considering this as an upgrade.

jdcamp


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jdcamp

It is so funny to see the apple haters come out enforce. You are never gonna get it. It isn't about games! Your gonna need to sit down for this... your computer can [/i]actually[/i] do real work. I have been using a simple MB 13" along side my work laptops since 2007. Notice "work laptops" is plural. My MB13" has outlived 4 professional grade laptops from the big three (Dell, HP, IBM). Do the math, or perhaps take it to your Econ prof to help you with it.

If I had $1500 to part with, I replace my 7 yr old iMac with this. Decent deal to be sure, but the old beast is still chugging.

Edbert


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Edbert
110mediadesign wrote:I have to say that I run all Macs in my office as well as personal computers. My main Mac that is in my office was purchased from Apple as a refurbished model almost two years ago and it has been nothing but a dream for me. I purchased the extra apple care plan from them, which basically covers everything that could possibly happen to the computer. I have a 2008 17" MacBook Pro and if the screen weren't crushed on it, I would still be using it.

Apple products last a long time, the technology that is put into them can continually be upgraded without having to replace the whole system. I have converted just about everyone I now to Macs and they never go back to PC's.

This is a decent deal, considering they don't make the larger 17" models anymore. Good luck if you have the funds to invest... honestly, you probably won't regret it!


I have only owned one mac since the '80s, it was a 17" macbook pro from the 2009 era. Apple replaced the motherboard three times while it was under applecare warrantly, they replaced the screen twice also at no cost to me. Each of those five trips to the genius bar (biggest marketing lie in history) resulted in me being without my laptop between 5 and 10 days, or a bit over a month in all. Within about 2 months of the extended applecare warranty expiring it failed again and they estimated $1,000.00 to repair.

So other than an amazing example of design and packaging (no argument there) the myth of Apples being made of superior hardware is just that...a myth. of course Apple said the problems on the motherboard were due to a problem with NVidia and the screens they also blamed on the OEM so it wasn't their fault either.

Regarding performance, I now am using an Asus laptop that smokes the Macbook in every regard except the HDD which is a tie, and the Asus cost about 66% as much.

regarding using it at work, I think you'll be fine if your work only requires email and web browsing since you can load FireFox or Chrome. Safari has the worst support for corporate web-apps of any of the other three browsers. If your work requires some sort of 'thick client' you are totally SOL unless you run parallels or VMware which does work but is slow and laggy.

So you'll end up doing what I did and running bootcamp 95% of the time which means you paid way too much for a laptop to run Windows on. Of course it is your money to blow on a refurb with sketchy warranty and longterm parts support.

Edbert


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Edbert
monteh wrote:I will say this. I use both Apple and Windows products. As tech support I get both in broken states. One nod towards Apple as a tool for me, is the use of boot camp and running either OSX or Windows on the same machine. It is a very useful tool. I still have the dual core MBP and besides showing its age I have never regretted the purchase. Seriously considering this as an upgrade.


Bootcamp is way cool. I am able to run OSX as a VM on my PC, but booting OSX in native mode is just not gonna happen.

cfox612


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cfox612

I used to be a PC person, and owned Dells (the price was nice during college) and then a Sony Vaio (spent $1500 to trick the thing out). What happened? It's what happens with "most" PC's. The more you install, the slower it gets. It takes forever to turn on, you see the lovely blue screen of death, keys stop functioning, and you realize you're going to be in the market for a new laptop sooner than later.

That's when I made the jump to Apple. Apple just makes a good product. Period. During my iPhone 4's 2 year span (until I upgraded to the 5) my husband went through 2 other phones (and his battery life still sucks). My dad's owned Mac's the past 5 years and still uses every one. They are still just as fast and reliable as when he first brought them home.

It is a convenience to be able to sync your phone, computer, and tablet, but I'm sure if you go all android that's not an issue. I have a 15" MBP (well 2, one is work issued) and both are amazing. I can absolutely get things done faster on my Mac than on my Sony. Hands down. As I said, my Sony has far better specs than my Mac, but it's just not performing as well as it once did. That's the story with PC's across the board (for us who use them for more than just email/internet/MS Office). Do the math:
1 Macbook Pro ($1,500) across 5 years or 2-3 PC's ($600/each = $1800).

marbaulo


quality posts: 4 Private Messages marbaulo
Kiashien wrote:I.. am flabbergasted by comments like this.

My laptop cost $500 and is at least as powerful as this offering, if not more. It isn't a mac, and yes, it was from woot.

You are paying for the brand name, and sacrificing the ability to play games. If this is okay for your profession, and your stack runs on a mac, do it.

Otherwise... This isn't a macbook air. It isn't magically light, and it offers no real advantage over a normal laptop other than you spend more money to get less hardware and get the Apple brand on it.

Really, I'm somewhat annoyed that his is on woot at all. Apple is never a deal- at best, it's trading money for customer service. It's never trading money for hardware and the ability to run what you want.



Really? I'm sure you'll love this even more.

I HAD one - an earlier one 17" for 4 years, finally upgraded to a 15" with a solid state drive for almost $4,000. I work on IT project management for a living and would never have a windows machine at home. Too much work. My macs always work, do what I want them to do, and are way more fun.
Please do not compare a $500 consumer level machine to a MBP. It is Apples to oranges - oh and I've made more than enough money on their stock over the last 15 years to pay for my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad so it appears many, many people like the brand.

For those that ACTUALLY WANT A COMMENT ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
Had an earlier model, LOVED IT but remember the 17" laptop is a heavy sucker - this is a workhorse that is not for the casual surfer. If you need a review to make this decision, you probably aren't the target audience for this machine. Beautiful screen makes it worth the weight if you prefer the size (great for streaming video, editing, photos) and this is a wonderful price since it is eligible for applecare (highly recommended on a refirb).

mfaughn


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mfaughn

Quality of case, mouse, keyboard, etc. aside...PC and Mac machines are basically the same thing, just running different OS. Problem with all of these non-Mac branded machines is often not the hardware. It is the OS. I run Linux on a computer that my wife used to run Windows on. This old computer with Linux is faster and more stable than her newer and significantly better spec'ed Windows machine. I use Macs at work and Linux at home. Either is fine with me but I can run Linux on cheap machines and get good performance and stability. I write code for a living and either environment is fine. I am not a gamer and therefore have little use for Microsoft -- I they would just go away.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 90 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I have a five-dollar (used) Intel iMac I bought with a busted DVD. The rest all worked and I upgraded the OS.

Normally, I am a PC person, having published guides to Windows ever since 3.1.

One day the iMac crashed and would not reboot. I finally ended up reinstalling the OS and was happy to see that ALL of my apps and data files were still there, still running (with the exception of one printer driver!).

When similar things happened to my PCs, I usually had to reinstall a ton of programs.

Yeah, I'm sure I could have made a disc image of the PC, etc, etc, but who aside from very conscientious IT types does that?

So, while I'm not spending almost $1,500 for a refurb, I'd consider a Mac for people who cannot afford to lose their work in a crash. I don't think this means better hardware, it means a better OS.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 90 Private Messages radi0j0hn
mfaughn wrote:Quality of case, mouse, keyboard, etc. aside...PC and Mac machines are basically the same thing, just running different OS. Problem with all of these non-Mac branded machines is often not the hardware. It is the OS. I run Linux on a computer that my wife used to run Windows on. This old computer with Linux is faster and more stable than her newer and significantly better spec'ed Windows machine. I use Macs at work and Linux at home. Either is fine with me but I can run Linux on cheap machines and get good performance and stability. I write code for a living and either environment is fine. I am not a gamer and therefore have little use for Microsoft -- I they would just go away.



Puppy Linux rocks.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

salpo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages salpo

Question: the picture here is for the matte screen. Do you guys confirm that this is the matte screen? Or is it the "anti-glare" one?

CCCarnie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CCCarnie
cfox612 wrote:I used to be a PC person, and owned Dells (the price was nice during college) and then a Sony Vaio (spent $1500 to trick the thing out). What happened? It's what happens with "most" PC's. The more you install, the slower it gets. It takes forever to turn on, you see the lovely blue screen of death, keys stop functioning, and you realize you're going to be in the market for a new laptop sooner than later.

That's when I made the jump to Apple. Apple just makes a good product. Period. During my iPhone 4's 2 year span (until I upgraded to the 5) my husband went through 2 other phones (and his battery life still sucks). My dad's owned Mac's the past 5 years and still uses every one. They are still just as fast and reliable as when he first brought them home.

It is a convenience to be able to sync your phone, computer, and tablet, but I'm sure if you go all android that's not an issue. I have a 15" MBP (well 2, one is work issued) and both are amazing. I can absolutely get things done faster on my Mac than on my Sony. Hands down. As I said, my Sony has far better specs than my Mac, but it's just not performing as well as it once did. That's the story with PC's across the board (for us who use them for more than just email/internet/MS Office). Do the math:
1 Macbook Pro ($1,500) across 5 years or 2-3 PC's ($600/each = $1800).



2-3 PCs in 5 years?!? You're doing it wrong. I'm not exactly sure what "it" is, but if you are going through that many PCs, you're doing something wrong (probably downloading things you shouldn't and going to sketchy websites). I've had the same PC for 5 years, and it's still as fast as when I bought it. There really is no difference between a Mac and a PC other than the OS and minor exterior differences. Apple makes very nice laptops, but there's no reason to pay $1500 for them, nearly 3 times the price of an equivalent PC that will last just as long as the Mac if you treat it right.

Sorry, I had a nice list here, but gXn is disgusted that I would use my signature in such a way. Please disregard my signature. Seriously, don't read this. gXn is going to get super pissed. He'll get all butthurt and start being all sarcastic/troll-like.

singybrue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages singybrue

Does this come with Windows Parallel installed?

kpujals


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpujals
zmh1175 wrote:15 hundred for a PC?no way.what you can do for this low performance laptop? can you play game?I got a apply laptop 2 years ago because I heard some people say apply pc is very good but I have no idea how to use that sick OS.very stupid.and It has sit there for 2 years.I only used it for around 2 hours.Do not buy apply.waste money.Apply only spend 600 for this Laptop but selling for almost 1500.How stupid buyers in this world.



If you bought one that has just been sitting, unused, for 2 years, will you sell it to me? Please? :-)

penance


quality posts: 0 Private Messages penance
salpo wrote:Question: the picture here is for the matte screen. Do you guys confirm that this is the matte screen? Or is it the "anti-glare" one?



It should be the glossy screen and not matte. Can't say 100% on that though.

zmh1175 wrote:15 hundred for a PC?no way.what you can do for this low performance laptop? can you play game?I got a apply laptop 2 years ago because I heard some people say apply pc is very good but I have no idea how to use that sick OS.very stupid.and It has sit there for 2 years.I only used it for around 2 hours.Do not buy apply.waste money.Apply only spend 600 for this Laptop but selling for almost 1500.How stupid buyers in this world.



By the way you type I am going to assume you're quite unintelligent. Schooling stopped around the third grade? It's not a "low end laptop" and has decent parts on the inside. There is a premium paid for Apple products though, that's the buyers decision if they think it's worse it for a product that looks nicer (I don't think it does) than others available and are willing to throw additional money at it.


Zerxer wrote:Actually, Apple's design is much nicer than most anything else that's offered by other manufacturers. True, this can vary by a person's own tastes.

The screen is high quality; the multi-touch trackpad is unsurpassed by anything else offered out there; and of course, you're paying to use the OS and to be part of the Apple ecosystem. I'm not even going to try and jump in on the tech specs argument, as it's never a debate anyone wins.

But I know that my 2011 MBP has been a dream in terms of everyday work usage, which includes having 20+ tabs open in chrome 24/7, as well as several CPU-intensive apps that I almost never close. Never slows down or locks up at all, despite going weeks without rebooting it or closing the lid.

I've also ran a few Mac-compatible games on Steam (the amount of which is growing) and they all ran nicely. Of course, I use a custom built high-end rig for my actual gaming needs, but my point is that Apple does pack power and reliability in their products.

Edit: Of course, saying that you can continually upgrade the hardware inside without replacing the system is a bit exaggerated. The most you can usually upgrade in any laptop (Mac or otherwise) is the RAM/HDD, and even then Apple likes to solder most of their new stuff so you can't do it yourself.



The screen is actually not that great, the "retina" displays they are now having included also have many flaws of their own as well, a lot of other laptops have IPS and higher color gamut screens, not to mention they didn't pack a powerful enough gpu to handle the retina display properly.

Their trackpad is indeed nice. I haven't found another that replicates it fully at all. There are plenty with all the different gestures but as Apple has them built in natively to the OS and not through additional software or drivers it's much more seamless.

With most other laptops you can upgrade the disk drive, HDD, ram and and processor. On some you can even upgrade the GPU. Apple has been soldiering CPU's to the mobo for years and have now gotten to soldiering or gluing every part now. Used to be able to upgrade ram, change batteries, etc. and now they're just making them impossible to upgrade so they have to buy a new one when it dies or runs past its time. I would like them much more and upgraded my gf's 2009 model to the newer retinas if they hadn't modified it in the ways that they did. Maybe the next model will at least pack enough punch to make the retina screen work and look as it should and entice me to buy one.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nmchapma


quality posts: 19 Private Messages nmchapma
marbaulo wrote:Please do not compare a $500 consumer level machine to a MBP. It is Apples to oranges



I see what you did there :-)

nmchapma


quality posts: 19 Private Messages nmchapma

:-)

rld082982


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rld082982

I cannot understand why people buy these things. The screen and processor is good but it ends there. 4gb memory. Weak video card. No USB 3.0.
For the price of this thing, you can get a far better PC laptop. But of course not right? PCs aren't hip like Apple is

thomas998


quality posts: 20 Private Messages thomas998
cycobilly wrote:Actually a pretty good deal, about $500 cheaper then the closest comp on Apple's website. Only dif is a bigger hd and a little bit faster. I have the previous 17" to this one and still runs as well and as fast as the day I got it. I am a film editor and it is great on location and since they aren't making 17" MacBook Pro's anymore, I'm thinking of buying a refurbed one just in case something happens to mine for a backup. I also have a 17" PC for my avid edit system which I normally prefer to edit with over FCP, except when I'm on location. But clients occasionally specify which system they would like the project to be edited on or else I wouldn't even own a windows machine, because I need to replace it every other year as it becomes obsolete and bogs down with a new OS and new software updates. Never mind all the other crap fanboys say, this is why I prefer a Mac over a PC, simply because of the realistic lifespan. It is definitely a lot of money upfront for a laptop, but for what you spend extra, you'll actually save in the long run for the simple reason that with a little care (coming from the guy that has dropped his on the cement more than once, resulting in only minor cosmetic damage) it will last for years not months.



You clearly don't really have a clue. I run both systems too, I don't ever need to change either one of them every year or every other year, why? Because when I get a system I get one capable of doing the job I need it for and then I don't go putting on new OS or software updates. There is no reason to ever update a standalone system that is doing the job you need it to do. I still have some older systems running non-supported OS's because they work for the task I need them to perform and I have no desire to screw them up by trying to go to a new system. You sound like one of the typical Apple fan boys, upgrading all the time because Apple conditioned you to do it from their planned obsolescence. The system I have running Avid hasn't been modified in over 5 years, because I didn't buy a marginal system to start with and I don't foolishly make updates to it because it works and works well. A high end computer is like a car, their really isn't any reason to trade it in every other year unless you bought a crappy one to start with or your some putz trying to keep up with the Jones (or Jobs).

ghostofdavid


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

The Best Page in the Universe has something to say about Apple/Mac products... !

Suck it, Trebek.

rld082982


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rld082982
nmchapma wrote:rld082982 Has never used a mac. At least not more than browsing the Apple store.



Oh let me guess your next argument.. because they don't get viruses, right? Wrong, they do.. just not to the degree that PCs get them because there are far and away more PCs than there are macs, hence more viruses. But if you have any brain at all, you would know how to prevent yourself from getting a virus.
So again, if you don't care about being a cool kid with a fancy mac, get a PC, far more flexibility, better specs, just better.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

I know it's really cool to debate mac vs PC and some of you may think you're changing minds and convincing people your platform of choice is superior (you're not), but if we could just stick to this particular product, and if it is worth getting off of things like say, technical merits, that would be excellent, thanks.

This has been your friendly moderator with a completely obligatory reminder.

I'm just hanging out, really.

salpo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages salpo
salpo wrote:
Question: the picture here is for the matte screen. Do you guys confirm that this is the matte screen? Or is it the "anti-glare" one?



It should be the glossy screen and not matte. Can't say 100% on that though.



Thanks!

ChampionOfChaos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChampionOfChaos
rld082982 wrote:Oh let me guess your next argument.. because they don't get viruses, right? Wrong, they do.. just not to the degree that PCs get them because there are far and away more PCs than there are macs, hence more viruses. But if you have any brain at all, you would know how to prevent yourself from getting a virus.
So again, if you don't care about being a cool kid with a fancy mac, get a PC, far more flexibility, better specs, just better.



For me, it isn't about being 'hip' with Apple. I've owned Apple products off and on since the 80's (clones too). I've gone back and forth between Mac/Win because of the merit of the OS at the time. Right now I'm all Mac as I prefer it. Win8 might change my mind on that. But if you buy a decent system, then Macs (and any other PC) hold up very well for years. I have a 5 year cycle to upgrade, and that's only because I want to at that time. But for me it's the OS that makes the difference.

On topic, this deal isn't bad, but if you don't want a 17", then I would recommend skipping. I don't see a reason not to get the updated architecture vs this if you don't want the screen size.

Woots:
1. Razer Copperhead 2000dpi Laser Gaming Mouse
2. Star Wars Vault: 30 Years of Treasures From the Lucasfilm Archives
3. Peavey Rockmaster Standard Acoustic Stage Pack
4. Excalibur NF07-08 NFL Premium Edition Vibrating Football
5. Kelty Shrike 32 Daypack
6. Kelty Courser 40 Backpack
7. Kershaw Vapor III Folding Knife
8. Imaginext Castle Ogre
9. All-Over Paisley Wrap

rbarger


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rbarger

You're incorrect. MacOS has many advantages over Windows and is a much better OS architecture. Additionally, my Mac runs Windows better than my Windows laptop.

On the games issue, why would you want to play high end games on a lap top. I have a PC desktop for this. But frankly the XBOX or PS are much better solutions if you're looking for decent game play.

Kiashien wrote:I.. am flabbergasted by comments like this.

My laptop cost $500 and is at least as powerful as this offering, if not more. It isn't a mac, and yes, it was from woot.

You are paying for the brand name, and sacrificing the ability to play games. If this is okay for your profession, and your stack runs on a mac, do it.

Otherwise... This isn't a macbook air. It isn't magically light, and it offers no real advantage over a normal laptop other than you spend more money to get less hardware and get the Apple brand on it.

Really, I'm somewhat annoyed that his is on woot at all. Apple is never a deal- at best, it's trading money for customer service. It's never trading money for hardware and the ability to run what you want.



disgruntledlurker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages disgruntledlurker
zmh1175 wrote:15 hundred for a PC?no way.what you can do for this low performance laptop? can you play game?I got a apply laptop 2 years ago because I heard some people say apply pc is very good but I have no idea how to use that sick OS.very stupid.and It has sit there for 2 years.I only used it for around 2 hours.Do not buy apply.waste money.Apply only spend 600 for this Laptop but selling for almost 1500.How stupid buyers in this world.



I have had a similar experience. I bought a fancy Mac for $2500 a few years ago but I didn't even open the box because it looked so confusing. And there were no Windows logos on the box at all. Awful experience.

If you want a comparable non-Apple computer just buy a Raspberry Pi for $35, right?

strider72


quality posts: 1 Private Messages strider72
Edbert wrote:I have only owned one mac since the '80s, it was a 17" macbook pro from the 2009 era. Apple replaced the motherboard three times while it was under applecare warrantly, they replaced the screen twice also at no cost to me. Each of those five trips to the genius bar (biggest marketing lie in history) resulted in me being without my laptop between 5 and 10 days, or a bit over a month in all. Within about 2 months of the extended applecare warranty expiring it failed again and they estimated $1,000.00 to repair.

So other than an amazing example of design and packaging (no argument there) the myth of Apples being made of superior hardware is just that...a myth.



Okay, so you got a lemon. My entire family has been using Apple computers and Macs since the early 80s, and in that time I've seen one lemon -- an iMac that needed multiple repairs and ultimately never worked right.

But the occasional lemon does nothing to invalidate the fact that Apple has by far the best customer satisfaction rating of any computer company. It's not a "myth" as you put it.

Edbert wrote:regarding using it at work, I think you'll be fine if your work only requires email and web browsing since you can load FireFox or Chrome.



...or Office, or programming, or any number of other tasks that the Mac is perfectly capable of accomplishing. If you're talking about some narrowly industry-focused app that only runs on Windows, yes you need Windows.

Kiashien wrote:This[...] offers no real advantage over a normal laptop other than you spend more money to get less hardware and get the Apple brand on it.



I have to say I actually laugh when I see somebody pop up and claim that you're "only paying for the brand". Setting aside arguments as to which OS is "better", the is no question that choosing to buy a Mac is far more than merely desiring a computer with an Apple logo on the lid. The OS, the available apps, the entire user experience is significantly different. It's not just clever marketing.

I mean... if you're going to argue that any OS is the same and the only difference is marketing, then you're also a sucker if you buy a Windows machine; as a similarly equipped Linux box is much cheaper (free OS).

But Linux is a different OS, isn't it?

zmh1175 wrote:I have no idea how to use that sick OS[...]. Do not buy appl[e]. waste money.



LOL "I have no idea what I'm talking about but you should trust my judgement."

strider72


quality posts: 1 Private Messages strider72
CCCarnie wrote:Apple makes very nice laptops, but there's no reason to pay $1500 for them, nearly 3 times the price of an equivalent PC that will last just as long as the Mac if you treat it right.


Different computer mags (including PC magazine a few years back) have repeatedly shown that if you actually compare ***similarly equipped*** computers, the Mac is competitively priced -- sometimes even cheaper than a PC.

The key phrase is "similarly equipped". If you get a Windows machine for less money it's largely because you're buying a computer with lesser hardware. And, yes, Apple doesn't sell budget computers.

But hey, we're supposed to be talking about this particular computer.

Can anybody confirm that this specific computer will take OS 10.8? I know a number of 2008-2009 Macs won't.

tjdonahoo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjdonahoo

$1500 seems like an awful lot of money for a 1) three-year-old, 2) used, 3) discontinued computer that is 4) not running the latest OS, and 5) possibly can't...

You can get a new 13" MBP for $300+ less, and carry it around