jacobagriswold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobagriswold

I was somewhat interested until I saw that this model doesn't have thunderbolt. The 17" is mostly designed for media professionals, but without a Mac without thunderbolt is a Mac that lacks longevity.

kam1996

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kam1996
cycobilly wrote:Actually a pretty good deal, about $500 cheaper then the closest comp on Apple's website. Only dif is a bigger hd and a little bit faster. I have the previous 17" to this one and still runs as well and as fast as the day I got it. I am a film editor and it is great on location and since they aren't making 17" MacBook Pro's anymore, I'm thinking of buying a refurbed one just in case something happens to mine for a backup. I also have a 17" PC for my avid edit system which I normally prefer to edit with over FCP, except when I'm on location. But clients occasionally specify which system they would like the project to be edited on or else I wouldn't even own a windows machine, because I need to replace it every other year as it becomes obsolete and bogs down with a new OS and new software updates. Never mind all the other crap fanboys say, this is why I prefer a Mac over a PC, simply because of the realistic lifespan. It is definitely a lot of money upfront for a laptop, but for what you spend extra, you'll actually save in the long run for the simple reason that with a little care (coming from the guy that has dropped his on the cement more than once, resulting in only minor cosmetic damage) it will last for years not months.

Please keep in mind that the refurb'd on Apple site has the 22% faster i7 processor but most importantly the MUCH faster AMD video card, the Nvidia card was a dog.
That sais, for someone looking for a "new" 17" MBP with warranty, this is STILL a good deal

smcphetrige

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smcphetrige
strider72 wrote:Different computer mags (including PC magazine a few years back) have repeatedly shown that if you actually compare ***similarly equipped*** computers, the Mac is competitively priced -- sometimes even cheaper than a PC.

The key phrase is "similarly equipped". If you get a Windows machine for less money it's largely because you're buying a computer with lesser hardware. And, yes, Apple doesn't sell budget computers.

But hey, we're supposed to be talking about this particular computer.

Can anybody confirm that this specific computer will take OS 10.8? I know a number of 2008-2009 Macs won't.

I have this same computer, it will run 10.8. Actually I have the i5 processor, but it is from the same year.

aleph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aleph

I use both PCs and Macs for work exclusively, no gaming. CAD files, video editing, 3D rendering.

The reality of the situation is that both can perform very well. Apple uses the EXACT same hardware as PC. So if you build your PC properly, you can actually install iOS on that PC (look up "hackintosh").

The thing you get with Apple is a beautiful design. And you pay tremendously for that. I just built a workstation for $4000 that has specs that will beat any Apple for the foreseeable future. And it runs iOS, when I want it to. The nearest approximate equivalent from Apple is over $8000. But yes, the Apple is prettier.

jimnovator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimnovator
Zerxer wrote:Apple product page for this specific model.

This is the April 2010 model, which is the 3rd-to-last 17" model made (there were two models released in 2011 after this one).

You can very easily upgrade the RAM yourself since 4GB is rather low. No need to go to Apple to have it done. Just unscrew the bottom and the RAM inside easily pops out and in.

Here is a 8GB RAM module compatible with this model as well as instructions on installing it (scroll down a little).

Source: I own the latest (and last) 17" model.

If you want even more memory, you can add two 8 gigabyte sticks for a total of 16 gigabyte of ram. Apple doesn't advertise this, but it does work with the mac machines. I did so for my daughter's mac which she took to college.

Regarding mac vs. pc, I have to support both in my household. Mac quality of design and implementation into construction of the product is second to none. However, you do pay a premium price for the product. I will confirm that the apple products have a longer life span than the pc side.

If you can't spend the money for an apple hardware but want a near equivalent, buy a laptop with an intel processor and turn it into a mac. Search "Hackintosh" on the web for details. Woot has offered pc laptops in the past that will fit the bill to do this.

One final note, if you want a pc laptop, stay away from HP. Friends bring me HPs to repair all the time. I currently have four dead ones setting in my home. Poor design and implementation into a product.

sandbar67

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sandbar67

Will it work with my Zune?

bloke911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bloke911

This is a good price for a 17" apple. It is fairly large when it comes to laptops but that is the only real con about it. You're saving about $400 on any refurb from apple. I just bought a 15" refurb with apple care for $1900.

One word on apple, you don't have to deal with any software or hardware problems. If something comes up you just bring it to your local apple store and they either fix it or replace it. I had a MacBook the was past its 1yr warranty by two months and the hard drive failed. The apple rep sold me apple care for $139 then handed me a brand new MacBook off the shelf. Their customer service is unparrallel to anything in the computing industry. They create solid running computers.

For the price of one MacBook you can buy two like HPs but that's upto you.

breauxaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages breauxaj
strider72 wrote:Different computer mags (including PC magazine a few years back) have repeatedly shown that if you actually compare ***similarly equipped*** computers, the Mac is competitively priced -- sometimes even cheaper than a PC.

The key phrase is "similarly equipped". If you get a Windows machine for less money it's largely because you're buying a computer with lesser hardware. And, yes, Apple doesn't sell budget computers.

Can anybody confirm that this specific computer will take OS 10.8? I know a number of 2008-2009 Macs won't.

You'll need to have either a 13-inch from mid-2009 on or a 2.2/2.4GHz 15-inch or a late 2007 or newer 17-inch for 10.8

ematt142

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ematt142

Yes it can. Friend of mine is currently running OS 10.8 on his mid-2009 17" with lower specs than this.

ematt142

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ematt142
jacobagriswold wrote:I was somewhat interested until I saw that this model doesn't have thunderbolt. The 17" is mostly designed for media professionals, but without a Mac without thunderbolt is a Mac that lacks longevity.

This is a true fact.

Unless of course you are a non-professional using it and don't need extreme transfer rates. Or you do not plan on purchasing the rather pricey Thunderbolt display so you can connect several firewire 800 devices..

Oh and did I mention that the mini display port that this computer (as well as my mid-2009 13") has DOUBLES as a thunderbolt connection?

greyday

quality posts: 45 Private Messages greyday
Kiashien wrote:
You are paying for the brand name, and sacrificing the ability to play games.

I knew coming here it would be a lot of "PC this" (which is immediatley dumb, as Macs ARE PCs) and "Mac that", but this comment is just too funny. For the record, you are paying for the brand no matter WHAT you buy. Even if you buy parts and build your own; Intel and Gigabyte boards cost more than cheaper names, and Intel and Gigabyte boards tend to be more reliable, and definitely have better support in my experience. But as far as durability, there's been no comparison IMO between the several dozen computers of various brands that I have owned: every single Mac has had a lifespan around 1.5-3x the length of any other box in our office (aside from our fileserver, of course). As always, experiences can, and will, vary. Which is also why I find the whole brand-whoring thing nonsensical. "Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others."

Also, Macs have been able to run windows since switching to intel in 2006. So no, you're not sacrificing games.

2dumb2care

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2dumb2care
jdcamp wrote:It is so funny to see the apple haters come out enforce. You are never gonna get it. It isn't about games! Your gonna need to sit down for this... your computer can [/i]actually[/i] do real work. I have been using a simple MB 13" along side my work laptops since 2007. Notice "work laptops" is plural. My MB13" has outlived 4 professional grade laptops from the big three (Dell, HP, IBM). Do the math, or perhaps take it to your Econ prof to help you with it.

If I had $1500 to part with, I replace my 7 yr old iMac with this. Decent deal to be sure, but the old beast is still chugging.

if you want to get real work done you can use linux on a regular pc since, this maybe a shock, MacOS is a rip-off of FreeBSD so if you want a mac get linux its the same. Also i have an Old T41 thinkpad that runs better than most old mac books and thats almost 10 years old so yeah rather use that POS than this MBP

udavidj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages udavidj

Compared to what Apple has available on their refurbished stock page today, this is a SCREAMING deal. I need to replace my GenI MBP17 and this would be be choice if I only had the cash!!!! Hopefully these will still be kicking around in a couple months.

Love,
UdavidJ

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
jacobagriswold wrote:I was somewhat interested until I saw that this model doesn't have thunderbolt. The 17" is mostly designed for media professionals, but without a Mac without thunderbolt is a Mac that lacks longevity.

Question 1: What is Thunderbolt?

Question 2: How does the thinness compare to the 15" macbooks? That's one of the reasons I've been casually looking into a mac, because of the thin and flat profile but still having a 17" screen. My other 17" laptops in the past have all gotten significant keyboard wear on the screen because of the various shapes to the lid and body which put pressure on it when closed in a backpack/bag.

I would be using this for Photoshop CS4, Excel, and possibly some light 2D CADD work. I plan to run bootcamp and mostly stay in Windows mode. Maybe some light gaming on the road, but I have a desktop gaming rig for that type of thing.

As an off topic aside:
I'm so sick of the Mac vs PC debate, what I want to know are specs, durability of this particular model, what OS it can run (for instance the comment about Snow Lepoard), if there are critical components missing! None of the debate is changing any minds here, whether by quoting comparative specs-per-$$ or just mud slinging.

kingdamian42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingdamian42
strider72 wrote:

Yes, I have the same model that's about a year older and running 10.8 now. I also greatly recommend it if for the battery life alone. Still get around 7 hours of battery life four years later.

chelone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chelone

I just bought this for my Wife. What's funny is she already has a Macbook Pro, the early 2009 model, and she LOVES it. This is a good deal if you are a Mac user/lover and these laptops are great for what she does, ( graphic design). I plan on adding 4 gigs more RAM and a SSD HD, which will increase performance. Keep in mind I would not buy this Laptop for myself, I am a gammer and could probably get a better deal for an IBM clone/PC laptop.
Value of deal= good
Wife Happy= Priceless, for everything else there's mastercard

yogah3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogah3

Put in an SSD and 8 gigs of Ram. Sweet deal an screaming fast.

glenhastings2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glenhastings2
neuropsychosocial wrote:I believe this is the same model as woot offered on November 15, 2012, except with a slightly different processor; the discussion has some very helpful comments. It's a mid-2010 model; here are the specs from EveryMac. It was offered directly from Apple for $1,679, although they're out of stock, so this looks like a decent price in comparison.

Because it's refurbished by Apple, it is eligible for AppleCare. This comes pre-installed with Snow Leopard; it's not eligible for a free upgrade to Mountain Lion, but it's only $19.99, so not that big of a deal.

glenhastings2

glenhastings2