Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

it's back!!

CowboyDann

quality posts: 715 Private Messages CowboyDann

Dug up a video review on the 8GB SDHC card. If you want a video on the 4GB model stop watching halfway through.

(seriously though,
4GB Connect | X2:
Store up to 2,000 photos or 90 minutes of video with top-notch class 6 speed. Works just like with your regular SDHC memory card

8GB Pro | X2:

Store up to 4,000 photos or 3 hours of video with 8GB SDHC capacity supercharged with class 6 read & write speeds

The only other difference I see between the size was this:

8GB comes with Lifetime, automatic Geotagging service helps you organize and share photos. View, search and share your latest trips on a map
You do not get this with the 4GB)

garygary52

quality posts: 2 Private Messages garygary52

What's the different between the connect and pro? I already have a class 10 32gb card, will this still a good buy over that?

sullydog101

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sullydog101

in for one!

StarChaserTyger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StarChaserTyger

While it's a nifty thing, before you buy one check and make sure it's compatible with your camera or whatever device. I bought one a couple of years ago, went through all the upgrades and stuff it wanted, then it decided that it wasn't compatible with my camera.

CowboyDann

StarChaserTyger wrote:While it's a nifty thing, before you buy one check and make sure it's compatible with your camera or whatever device. I bought one a couple of years ago, went through all the upgrades and stuff it wanted, then it decided that it wasn't compatible with my camera.

A compatibility checker would be nice thing to link to next time ;)

Need to check your camera to see if it's compatible?
Click Here and scroll to the bottom. It's a little small but it's there at the bottom.

CowboyDann

garygary52 wrote:What's the different between the connect and pro? I already have a class 10 32gb card, will this still a good buy over that?

The only difference I could see was you that the 8GB one comes with a "Lifetime, automatic Geotagging service."

If you can live without that or your camera already does this, by all means keep the one you have.

SeattleBrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeattleBrad

The Pro version supports Raw files.

psydeways

quality posts: 2 Private Messages psydeways

mrmcmac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrmcmac

The offered 8 GB card is a good deal, though refurbished, and saves you $30 over a new one.

If you are a serious photog, a new 16 GB X2 Pro card ($99.00) and an iPad would allow you to view your shots within a short period of time after you snap'em, and on a large screen! Great for in the field or on location.

cdubbya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubbya
CowboyDann wrote:A compatibility checker would be nice thing to link to next time ;)

Click Here and scroll to the bottom. It's a little small but it's there at the bottom.

Nice, Thanks Cowboy.

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

Regarding the geotagging feature, the Pro does not have a GPS chip. Instead it uses WPS which to me is useless because my best photos are shot where there are no hotspots. The connect can also geotag but that option is not enabled unless you upgrade.

acme401

quality posts: 3 Private Messages acme401

I love my Eye-fi card! I have the 4gig and I was really worried about running out of space but it's never happened. The card is smart enough to know what has been downloaded and hasn't and will remove downloaded files automatically. I also have the card set up to send all my pictures and videos to Flickr as backup. So when I walk through the door the card downloads to my computer then sends them to Flickr making them accessible remotely anywhere. Very nice to have every picture available to me on my phone or computer no matter where I go. It's a no brainer, but the Eye-fi card.

Where are my pants?

yesmyok

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yesmyok

I've had one of these for several years. Overall, I'm satisfied. It does what it says. I was however disappointed with their online offering (haven't looked in a while) and the reader I received felt very cheap. It's actually crooked. I seem to recall some setup not going well but those were early eye-fi days and we're beyond that now. That being said, it does dl images automatically. If you're using large image size then prepare to wait (as you should expect). You can find new 8gb pro for $59.95 http://www.adorama.com/ICDEFP2X8G.html?gclid=CMmZtaiwl7QCFVCd4AodVRsAqQ

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

Love Eye-Fi been using it ever since I got one from woot.

I now upgraded to the 8GB version and have been working seamlessly with my Lumix LX5. Direct mode is a great feature for editing on the iPad.

In for 2 4GB this time!

somewhiteguy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages somewhiteguy

I own the 8GB version of this card and love it. I put it in my wife's camera, which is a basic point-&-shoot, for most of the time. I have the card automatically upload to my dropbox account, so I know when photos are available even if I'm at work. It's nice to see pictures of the family and what's going on, it makes the day a bit more bearable. The upload is fast, and configuration only took me 15-20 minutes. You can place the pictures anywhere on your computer, and it can also automatically post to social media, if you're into that kind of thing. I got mine brand new for $99, so $50 is a great price for this device.

pditty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pditty

I bought one of the old Eye-Fi cards 2 year ago. The instant I formatted it in my camera, it bricked it, despite my camera being on the compatibility list. After 2 months, a warranty replacement arrived. I put it in my new camera and guess what... bricked it instantly.

I wouldn't even format from the Linux command prompt, or with low level formatting utilities / wiping tools.

A very glitchy and terrible product indeed.

Also, the Eye-Fi models that do geo tagging only do so in the presence of open wifi networks.

Cwluc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cwluc

Not gonna lie, I'm surprised no one else has had any issues. I bought an Eye-Fi a few years ago. Worked for a while (couple months). Then an error occurred while writing to the card one day. Lost everything. Spoke with Eye-Fi customer support, online and on the phone. Replaced my card. Clearly lost all my photos. Problem solved? Not even close. Literally the same thing happened 3 times. On the 3rd card I kept backing it up on a laptop I started carrying, because of my previous experiences, every so often so it became useless. I was done with them after that. The idea is great, the execution needs a lot of work.

Woot History ...
1/23/14 Apple MC706LL/A 32GB iPad w/ Wi-Fi Black
2/12/13 MIO Heart Rate Monitor Watches
5/19/12 Apple 64GB iPod Touch -Current Gen
10/22/11 HP P7 Pavilion Quad Core Desktop with 1.5TB Hard Drive
10/29/08 Kingston 16GB USB 2.0 Data Traveler Thumbdrive
7/16/2008 Oppo 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI

USP45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages USP45

What's the reader for? One-time setup? (Because isn't the whole point of this that you won't need to take the card out anymore?)

russwjohns

quality posts: 14 Private Messages russwjohns
CowboyDann wrote:

Thanks! Nikon D40x has some workable powering issues.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Also, be aware that your photos will automatically upload and if you are social media connected that sometimes isn't a great idea.

My 6 year old was taking photos on vacation with my spouses camera (which had an eye fi card in it) and there were some silly shots (pj's and whatnot) of us that I'd have preferred not been online.

Just a word of caution. Spouses Eyefi is no longer connected to social media.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04
USP45 wrote:What's the reader for? One-time setup? (Because isn't the whole point of this that you won't need to take the card out anymore?)

I believe it is for updates and times where no wifi is available.

powermatt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages powermatt

I've been using this in a Nikon D3100, which has full support for eye-fi cards. It works quite well, and I'm satisfied with the purchase. Is it perfect? No, not by a long shot.

The biggest issue comes up with the desktop software. I'm using mine on windows, and if I'm honest the software is a jumbled mess. It does work, but it needs some serious polish. Once set up, though, the eye-fi card does exactly what it should.

In short, while less than user-friendly, most techie types should have no issues with setup. So far it's proven to be reliable, sending photos where I tell it to without any issues. Worth the setup hassle to me to make my workflow wireless.

Th0r

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Th0r

Can you configure it to upload to your own ftp server? I don't want a 3rd party receiving my photos.

ACobraPilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ACobraPilot

8GB version also available new (not refurbished) on Amazon for $61.17, Prime (free 2-day) shipping eligible. 4GB is $34.99.

For those who want it new, fast and are willing to pay a couple extra bucks.

Myself248

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Myself248
USP45 wrote:What's the reader for? One-time setup? (Because isn't the whole point of this that you won't need to take the card out anymore?)

Yeah, and this is a huge caveat: Setup is done online. There's no offline configuration tool, so if eye.fi ever goes kaput, your hardware becomes useless.

Also, last I checked, there's no ad-hoc network support, so if you're planning to have photos sent straight to your laptop in the field, you'd better hope you're running Win7 and have that "virtual wifi miniport" softAP feature figured out, or just carry a wrt54G and battery in your backpack. gift.

That being said, for the vanilla use-case, it does what it says on the tin. I'm in for two.

Caravaglia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caravaglia

I've had one for a little over a year and haven't had any problems. I don't use it for the WiFi connect so much anymore, since the one I have does not do RAW and that's all I shoot in. It's nice if you need to have a picture immediately and post to Facebook or other social media.

The little lock tab broke off not too long ago, and customer service was great at getting me a new card without any problems!

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0509531

According to the Eye-Fi website the Pro-X2 is a class 10, not a class 6 as stated here on woot.

http://www.eye.fi/products#product_comparison

[MOD: The 16GB is Class 10. We're selling the 8GB Pro-X2 which is Class 6 (2nd column).]

Waj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Waj

The 16GB is class 10, this 8 GB sold here is class 6.

0509531 wrote:According to the Eye-Fi website the Pro-X2 is a class 10, not a class 6 as stated here on woot.

http://www.eye.fi/products#product_comparison

wodowooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wodowooter

bought 1 last time for my 83 year old FIL. He loves it - snaps a shot and it pops up in his Picasa folder.
Seamless to set up and easy to use.

My turn

WootMe 3x-BeerMe 2x

Braveit1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Braveit1
Myself248 wrote:
Also, last I checked, there's no ad-hoc network support, so if you're planning to have photos sent straight to your laptop in the field, you'd better hope you're running Win7 and have that "virtual wifi miniport" softAP feature figured out, or just carry a wrt54G and battery in your backpack. gift.

The advantage of the x2 pro is ad hoc support. I have mine set up to upload directly to my pc without going online.
The card readership used to configure access points with the card. You must add the access point before the card can use it. Public hot spots are not supported until they are configured. There is a service offered for some to be pre configured but not all.

http://support.eye.fi/cards/networks/ad-hoc-networks-pro-cards-only/how-to-set-up-an-ad-hoc-network/

Woot Charter Member #3327

jbeige

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbeige

I was hoping that I could get this to use in my Raspberry Pi, and have it serve as both the disk drive and wifi adapter, but alas google says it won't work.. sadface.

bringontherain28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bringontherain28

So glad I held off on buying this. In for one. An elf told me that Santa is placing a Canon Rebel T3 under my Christmas tree! I can't wait to try it out.

MzHartz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MzHartz

I've got the cheapest version of this (because I'm a cheapskate and probably wouldn't use the more expensive features anyway). I use it when I'm at an event so I can snap pictures, view them on my iPad, and upload them to social networking sites. I haven't had any problems with it, and would feel crippled if I had to go back to uploading pictures the manual way.

Shalamar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Shalamar

This is an excellent card. I use it on my Canon point and shoot exclusively.

Couple things to note:

Turn off the wireless if you don't need it immediately. It does drain battery life from your camera.

If you shoot in RAW, get the pro. Only the pro versions of the card support wireless transmission of RAW photos.

If you have tablets, get the apps. The card can also generate it's own wireless network that computers and tablets can connect to. That way you can transfer your photos to another device if there is no general wireless network available. Your photos will still be uploaded when those devices find a working wireless network.

Again: If you shoot in RAW, get the pro!

Keri1983

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keri1983

I am very leery about the refurb cards. My mom and I both got refurb 8gb pro x2 for Xmas last year and they both work intermittently. Even the pc doesn't always recognize them. I called eye fi and they were able to swap them out for two new refurbs and those had the same issue. I bought a new one about two months ago and it's been working great. The eye fi pc software could use a little work but the new card itself works well. I found the 8gb x2 pro on sale for Amazon for $59.99.
Just two notes, to attach the card directly into the pc you need to use the official eye fi card reader, it won't recognize on bult in readers.
Also the cards are really cool to transfer to the pc and make an instant slides show during a party or something.

cosmicpea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cosmicpea

My camera does not support tethering so I've never been able to shoot in RAW while running image directly into Photoshop or Lightroom to edit. Will the Pro version of the Eye-Fi allow that? It says you can specify where the image goes so can it go directly into the Adobe program?

bvbooks

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bvbooks

Anyone know if this would work for Snapfish? Wife has been using 'fish for years and I would like something (like this?) that would help her with the process of uploading her photos.

ptr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ptr
cosmicpea wrote:My camera does not support tethering so I've never been able to shoot in RAW while running image directly into Photoshop or Lightroom to edit. Will the Pro version of the Eye-Fi allow that? It says you can specify where the image goes so can it go directly into the Adobe program?

The images get uploaded to the folder of your choice on your hard drive. Then, you can open it in the editing application of your choice. It doesn't directly influence the operation of PS or Lightroom.