WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Flexible Keyboards For Yoga Computing

It seems like you can't go anywhere these days without hearing about yoga computing. It's always "The studio was so hot I couldn't overclock my processor," and "Do the new nVidia drivers support chaturangas?" Not to be left behind, we are embracing the fad and providing Sound Logic flexible keyboards for all your yoga computing needs.
Sound Logic official site

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 504 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gatzby wrote:What sort of cool projects could you incorporate a flexible keyboard into? Wearable computing anyone?

thequara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thequara
ThunderThighs wrote:

A stand-alone bar trivia console for my bar room. That way when drunken friends spill beer on the keyboard it is an easy clean up.

skinnermm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skinnermm

for the life of me I will never understand why the biggest key on the board (by a margin of 400% or so) is the CAPS LOCK. Why not TAB or at least something mappable...?

MAYBE I JUST DON'T USE CAPS LOCK ENOUGH WITH THIS BORING KEYBOARD.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

skinnermm wrote:for the life of me I will never understand why the biggest key on the board (by a margin of 400% or so) is the CAPS LOCK. Why not TAB or at least something mappable...?

IF YOU NEED A PLACE TO ROCK THE CAPS LOCK, THIS IS THE PLACE.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

MikHalifax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikHalifax
skinnermm wrote:for the life of me I will never understand why the biggest key on the board (by a margin of 400% or so) is the CAPS LOCK. Why not TAB or at least something mappable...?

The Caps Lock key is actually normal size. You're just seeing the label for the caps lock light. The large box to the left is the circuit board for the keyboard.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 8 Private Messages MommaBeary

I have to ask, why do all the flexible keyboards that WOOT sells NOT have number pads???? Accountants need some love too!!!

caferace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caferace
MommaBeary wrote:I have to ask, why do all the flexible keyboards that WOOT sells NOT have number pads???? Accountants need some love too!!!

Accountants need speedy number pads. Unfortunately, you'll never get that (never say never) with a flexible membrane keyboard. Plus, they like the clicky-click noises.

henryhargrove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages henryhargrove

What's with the crazy company description? Louisiana purchase???

robspan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages robspan

So these won't work with an Android tablet?

usclawyer

quality posts: 6 Private Messages usclawyer

I bought one of these about 5 years ago from a discount store (Big Lots?)for $10, I think. I have used it probably 3 times. The keyboard is fun and novel, but it is really hard to use. I would never hook it up to a desktop, and I wouldn't hook it up to my laptop, as it doesn't even outperform my laptop's keyboard.

Perhaps if my keyboard (but not my computer) was in a splashy environment, like a boat or near a soda dispenser, this might be useful.

slappywhite2001

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slappywhite2001

Wow, the history of Sound Logic reads very closely to the Louisiana Purchase. Well done, Sound Logic.

I do enjoy a good grilled cheese sandwich.

caderoux

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caderoux

This doesn't appear to be a great deal unless you are already buying anything and don't mind an extra buck or two, since Amazon has these from various vendors with total cost shipped for under $7.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
usclawyer wrote:
Perhaps if my keyboard (but not my computer) was in a splashy environment, like a boat or near a soda dispenser, this might be useful.

We use one on the computer that controls the waterjet. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything to protect the mouse from garnet.

(I was never a big fan of the beach, no matter what you do you always get sand everywhere.)

Still single, can't imagine why.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 8 Private Messages MommaBeary
caferace wrote:Accountants need speedy number pads. Unfortunately, you'll never get that (never say never) with a flexible membrane keyboard. Plus, they like the clicky-click noises.

I -do- like the clicky-click noises, I will admit. But I've just gotten so used to a number pad that I can't even use the number row at ALL anymore. It's sad, really.

iproxii

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iproxii

I got one of these ages ago online from amazon.com. I wish I could leave a decent review, but unfortunately my cat liked to sleep on it, and didn't give me permission to use it. The one thing I can tell you is it washes off really easily. I can't say the same about the keyboard built into my laptop. I feel like I might be able to create a small creature with all the cat hair stuck under the keys.

beachd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beachd

Bought one for the biology laboratory at school. Too many dripping fingers on the black PC keyboard make me sad. With this I can wash off the nasty chemicals before they seep into my skin!

socalwoman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages socalwoman

It's pretty and easy to clean, but hard to get used to. I had to correct several errors before posting this. I keep turning the caps lock on instead of shifting, an the keys on the lower two rows require much more pressure than I was used to using.

Seize the Carp!

BarbieGee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BarbieGee
socalwoman wrote:It's pretty and easy to clean, but hard to get used to. I had to correct several errors before posting this. I keep turning the caps lock on instead of shifting, an the keys on the lower two rows require much more pressure than I was used to using.

THIS.
I have to MASH on the keys, and I find some of the key locations just creates problems. Hoping I can get used to it, but if I can't it's no great loss.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
socalwoman wrote:It's pretty and easy to clean, but hard to get used to. I had to correct several errors before posting this. I keep turning the caps lock on instead of shifting, an the keys on the lower two rows require much more pressure than I was used to using.

Sounds like a good "my keyboard is busted and I still need to type" backup then. Hm!

I'm just hanging out, really.