WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How tech savvy would you say you are?
  • 0.9% - I call my nephew every time I want help printing my emails to read. 23
  • 35.8% - I get along just fine, but I don’t do much more than surf the web anyway. 890
  • 26.1% - I dabble with some programming languages here and there. Made my own website and everything! 648
  • 25.3% - Building rigs, advanced programming, administration, I can do it all. 630
  • 11.9% - I am currently experiencing the Internet through a neural interface of my own design. 296
2487 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

I'm in between 2 and 3. I do more than just surf the web but I'm nowhere near fancy land. Ever since switching to a Mac around 2006, I've had to do little to no maintenance jobs with the absence of viruses. I honestly kind of miss it.

ardubu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ardubu

I took the 'RED' Pill...
Hell yeah!
That rabbit hole is DEEP!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
trixierix wrote:I'm in between 2 and 3. I do more than just surf the web but I'm nowhere near fancy land. Ever since switching to a Mac around 2006, I've had to do little to no maintenance jobs with the absence of viruses. I honestly kind of miss it.

Been on various Windows iterations since 1998 and never had a virus.

Stupid people get viruses by doing stupid things like going to stupid websites and downloading stupid things. Either you stopped doing stupid things or learned from your mistakes.

SunKaiYi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SunKaiYi
curtisuxor wrote:Been on various Windows iterations since 1998 and never had a virus.

Stupid people get viruses by doing stupid things like going to stupid websites and downloading stupid things. Either you stopped doing stupid things or learned from your mistakes.

:clap: Although it's generally true that you get viruses by doing stupid things, even doing stupid things on Macs would rarely get you a virus. Viruses just aren't frequently targeted towards Macs. And THAT is great for those stupid kids doing stupid things like going to stupid websites and downloading stupid things. Stupid kids.

Back to the original intention though, I also switched to a Mac about 7 years ago and I've missed the constant tweaking and troubleshooting. I'm actually building a new computer now because I've missed the challenge of it all.

theotheborg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theotheborg

woot! is a bit nerdier than I imagined, with fully 1/3 claiming to have either advanced programming skills or a neural interface of their own design. I was imagining single digits for both of those choices, even given that the last one has a whimsical sneer that makes it rather appealing.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
curtisuxor wrote:Stupid people get viruses by doing stupid things like going to stupid websites and downloading stupid things.

^This^

Though also ignorant people (those that just don't know any better and don'thave anyone to show them) also suffer from it. I don't have issues and I've always been Windows since early 90s in the DOS days. As Apple gains more and more market share viruses will surface and they will likely be effective because most Mac users have the 'it can't happen to me because I'm on a Mac' attitude.

I used to do a lot of programming and what not, but have too many kids and school to get the time for it any more. I can't wait to get back to it...

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

paperthinwalls

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paperthinwalls
theotheborg wrote:woot! is a bit nerdier than I imagined, with fully 1/3 claiming to have either advanced programming skills or a neural interface of their own design. I was imagining single digits for both of those choices, even given that the last one has a whimsical sneer that makes it rather appealing.

When woot first started, it garnered a cult following among those who spend the most time on the Internet, ie. those who delve DEEPER than even the dwarves would dare. Those would invariably be those with tech skills.

I personally fit into the second to last cubby hole because I'm a software developer. The only reason I'm not in the final slot is because I have a daytime job to focus on.

By the way, can we release contact info for those with neural interfaces? I'd like to work out a deal with them.

Is this it? what am i supposed to do here?

sharkbiteax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkbiteax

Agree that there should be a choice between 2 & 3. I don't have any programming experience, but I'm an IT Project Manager, albeit a relatively new one. I know enough to get around - again sans programming.

mgodawski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgodawski

me programmer. i taught turbo pascal when in Grad school for CS in d' mid 80s and have been in this business programming various languages ever since. After so many years, the lightbulb is getting dimmer.

--its the Shendy principle

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

30+ years in various positions, from coder to systems design to network management. Mainframes, PCs and handhelds. Last house, I completely wired, next house wireless. Someday, neural network.

moose123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moose123

If it uses electrons I'll take a stab at repairing it. Programming? Uh-uh, only the minimal amount needed for troubleshooting and repair. I was competent in DOS, but the last system I trained on used binary coded octal.

richaemry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richaemry

I'd like y'all to know that I'm currently using a direct from memory neural digitizer to post this onto the non living internet. Soon enough I'll be using a digital neutralizer to post things directly into the memory banks of the carbon based life forms with the help of my enormous ePeen.

--V'ger taught me everything. The whales are your only salvation.

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus
trixierix wrote:I'm in between 2 and 3. I do more than just surf the web but I'm nowhere near fancy land. Ever since switching to a Mac around 2006, I've had to do little to no maintenance jobs with the absence of viruses. I honestly kind of miss it.

What's a "mac"? Like at MickyDs?

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

What's a "mac"? Like at MickyDs?

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

richaemry

Now that so many people have switched to Macs that has ended. The only think that really ever kept malware off Macs was rarity --with their recent prominance that has ended.

Malware is always about illicit profit, and there is enough money in hacking Macs now that it's worth the effort for the criminals.

bargainbourne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbourne

Between 2 and 3 for me as well -- people call me for tech support, but I'm neither interested in nor capable of building my own website.

raney2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages raney2

I'm a veritable grumpy-ass-sys-admin. Combat boots and everything.

In fact, I'm working as I type this... at 4am on a Sunday morning.

lemminghunter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lemminghunter
curtisuxor wrote:Been on various Windows iterations since 1998 and never had a virus.

Yea!! A point I have been trying to make for years!!! When I was very young I started with DOS and PC Shell, I then moved onto Windows and I have NEVER had a virus on my computer. I have helped countless people over the years but those same people also had 7 toolbars for internet explorer and a bunch of craplets and malware. I would never have used the word stupid, but when you can't be bothered to read anything that pops up ever, that at least makes you lazy.

lemminghunter

I am somewhere between 3 & 4. I have built many computers, design and maintain several websites, do IT work for a few small businesses. However I only know enough code to ask where the bathroom is. I have purchased a few books and bookmarked some great sites about it, but I have never found the time to really dig into programming.

lemminghunter

SumDuud wrote:^This^

Though also ignorant people (those that just don't know any better and don'thave anyone to show them) also suffer from it. I don't have issues and I've always been Windows since early 90s in the DOS days. As Apple gains more and more market share viruses will surface and they will likely be effective because most Mac users have the 'it can't happen to me because I'm on a Mac' attitude.

I used to do a lot of programming and what not, but have too many kids and school to get the time for it any more. I can't wait to get back to it...

I doubt that Apple will take enough market shares to be heavily targeted. Though iOS may be targeted a bit more than Apple user are accustom to the most bang for your evil buck is still Windows.

Here is a breakdown with all OS's

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

Windows 81.55% Mac 5.96% iOS 6.6%

And one with full blown OS's only

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0

Windows 91.74% Mac 7.07%

The ascension of Apple has been really over blown. Their presence in tablet computing has been an impressive growth, but with Win8 & RT it will be very interesting to see if that continues.

richaemry

lemminghunter wrote:I doubt that Apple will take enough market shares to be heavily targeted. Though iOS may be targeted a bit more than Apple user are accustom to the most bang for your evil buck is still Windows.

Here is a breakdown with all OS's

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

Windows 81.55% Mac 5.96% iOS 6.6%

And one with full blown OS's only

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0

Windows 91.74% Mac 7.07%

The ascension of Apple has been really over blown. Their presence in tablet computing has been an impressive growth, but with Win8 & RT it will be very interesting to see if that continues.

From a theft perspective, Mac users run less security software, are more likely to have more money and less tech knowledge. It's not just about stealing the money, it's about stealing a lot of it and not getting caught.

WinVista Win7 and Win8 are actually pretty secure with just MS Security Essentials now, whereas the only real security for a Mac is CLAM since the other major option (Norton) isn't really all that secure. At one point there was a Trojan called Flashback that had infected about 600,000 Macs in the wild last year including about 275 in Apple's HQ --and Apple's "solution" was to tell people only to download apps from the App Store.

I went back to Solaris after that...

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001

Need an option between 3 & 4. I can code just fine in just about any language tossed at me, done plenty of admin tasks, but I will not pretend to know it all.

For that other stuff: let me search for a number of links and I'll get back to you.

ssskimmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssskimmer

You should have a choice between 3 and 4- and/or between 4 and 5 with a category including application software such as WP, SS, or Desktop Publishing. One can be very tech savvy without an interest in programming.

That's my opinion. If I had time to spend I would enjoy programming, too.

ssskimmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssskimmer

That is might be close to number two,but not.

morninglark

quality posts: 21 Private Messages morninglark
moose123 wrote:If it uses electrons I'll take a stab at repairing it. Programming? Uh-uh, only the minimal amount needed for troubleshooting and repair. I was competent in DOS, but the last system I trained on used binary coded octal.

Binary coded octal--that takes me back. The system I first trained on used BCD, octal and yes hexadecimal. Not much use these days for knowing that D-A= 3. :-) I was always much better at reading the octal displays.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Since when does "tech savvy" require advanced knowledge in programming? I know brilliant code monkeys who can't even change a light bulb.