corvettejoe

quality posts: 15 Private Messages corvettejoe
garzman80 wrote:How would this handle editing HD videos? Our current laptop is ancient and can't, so I have been looking for a new laptop...but was wondering if this tablet would be sufficient?

Android isn't the platform for doing this type of work. This type of hardware also just isn't suited for this type of work either. Sure... you COULD... maybe... but it's just not going to give you the power you need from a full blown laptop or the results you are looking for. Plus when done, then what? You have to copy it back to something to burn it do DVD anyway. (do yourself a favor and grab an i5 based laptop for video editing, you won't be disappointed)

pointmass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pointmass

I got this tablet from woot about a month ago. I loaded 4.1 (jelly bean) on it from the Asus website as soon as I got it, and have been happy as a clam ever since. I've owned a couple tablets before and was never very happy, but this one is super-fast, and simply a joy to use. Highly recommend. I'm getting another now, this one for my wife.

davehathaway

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davehathaway
kildar wrote:is this worth rooting? i rooted my phone because, well, the verizon bloatware was annoying the hell out of me. is there much of a reason to root this TF?

A great reason is to be able to run a backup of your system data, for example, Titanium Backup.

This video isn't working for me, but XDA describes why root: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTkHe7-lXw

Zavelin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zavelin
corvettejoe wrote:Android isn't the platform for doing this type of work. This type of hardware also just isn't suited for this type of work either. Sure... you COULD... maybe... but it's just not going to give you the power you need from a full blown laptop or the results you are looking for. Plus when done, then what? You have to copy it back to something to burn it do DVD anyway. (do yourself a favor and grab an i5 based laptop for video editing, you won't be disappointed)

Basic tasks such as the ones I describe do fine. I use it for editing GoPro videos when I'm not at a laptop. Anything more than that or at home, I can just pop out the microSD card, put it into the SD card adapter, transfer, and I'm on my way.

Make sure to use a Class 10, folks, for the sake of keeping your transfer and read rates decent. If you're shuffling movies and music around, it's nice to have.

marinebioguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marinebioguy

I bought the 16GB version from Woot! just before Christmas. It is a refurb just like this one, and I've had no problems since. I'm in San Diego and it made it to OK and back over the holidays with just two charges for the whole week (it was basically my only source of electronic equipment for the week). Also if you happen to be a pilot, these tablet work as good if not better than an iPad as an electronic kneeboard and charts. Many wonderful wishes to all that buy this.

scrib71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scrib71
Zavelin wrote:Also BIG NOTICE to the Android rooters...
Once you update to Android 4.1/Jellybean, you will only be able to root after downloading an app from ASUS that unlocks your tablet and voids the warranty.

I appreciate the warning, but a 90 day warranty isn't that big a factor. If you just use it as is for a few months it won't make a difference if you void the expired warranty.
It IS good to know that when the time comes that a tool to root the device comes from the manufacturer, though.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

My son loves this, I got it for Christmas. I actually got it without the keyboard and picked up the keyboard for 100 from Sam's Club , so this would have been a less expensive option.

The only issue we have had is that while we were able to side-load a flash-player .apk, flash content still doesn't seem to work and also apps that look for flash don't seem to realize we have it installed.

That is more an android issue , I think, than a specific issue with this tablet. But it is a real pain if you want to use the tablet to say , create a calandar on Snapfish.com . My son had to revert back to the netbook for that.

FredWallace18

quality posts: 3 Private Messages FredWallace18

I've wanted this since it was announced, but I thought they'd get Windows support a while ago. I can't justify this cost for something that runs apps, not applications (I'm making a bad play on words; I know that's what apps stands for).

jhensor2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhensor2

If are thinking about getting this STOP thinking and just buy the thing!
This is a awesome tablet, I got one for my daughter for Christmas and everyone that sees it loves it and wants one (including ME)!

Jack H. Ensor, II

utopia13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages utopia13
FredWallace18 wrote:I've wanted this since it was announced, but I thought they'd get Windows support a while ago. I can't justify this cost for something that runs apps, not applications (I'm making a bad play on words; I know that's what apps stands for).

Asus has a version that runs Windows RT OS (VivoTab I think it's called). You can't run windows applications on an Android tablet regardless though so your comments doesn't exactly make sense. This s a great priced tablet so not sure what you are expecting for this cost...

relxerd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages relxerd
autoshoes wrote:How good would this be for a college student?

My only experience with android has been on my phone so I'm not too familiar with what productivity/office apps are available.
Mainly, my concern would be for document writing and printing. What's out there (for free and/or cheap) and are they any good?

I'm using the HP Touchpad (flashed with Android 4.0) and downloaded Kingsoft office application for free. I download all my PowerPoints and am able to type on them using my bluetooth keyboard. No problem. I also purchase 90% of my books in a digital version. I use the tablet to view them. One tablet to rule them all. I purchased the Asus T101MT 2 years ago but it ran wicked slow with windows. I should try flashing it with Android.

matt34bears

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matt34bears

Here is an amazing case to protect your new tablet (and the keyboard too!) :http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Prime-TF201-Keyboard-Portfolio/dp/B007CAZO9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358174753&sr=8-1&keywords=hhi+keyboard+case
This model is for the Transformer Prime, but they should put the listing back up for the tf300 soon. I'm using it now, its great but a little thick.

On another note, does anyone know of a good video editing app for this?

evanjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evanjb

You can go to the flash website and download the last version that was set up for Android operating systems. You have to change a setting in the tablet to allow third party programs to install. Works fine and flash plays normally, integrated with no issues.
In settings, security, allow the installation of apps from unknown sources.
Download or Copy the Adobe Flash Player .apk file to your device.
Open the File Manager & tap the Adobe Flash Player .apk file you just downloaded to install it.
Go back to settings, security, & untick (disallow) the installation of apps from unknown sources.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html?PID=5583226

Scroll down the page until you reach the Android section, specifically, this part... "Flash Player for Android 4.0 archives" The download you want is... Flash Player 11.1.for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.36) If there is a newer version, ie with a higher than 36 number in the last two digits, go for that one.

FredWallace18 wrote:I've wanted this since it was announced, but I thought they'd get Windows support a while ago. I can't justify this cost for something that runs apps, not applications (I'm making a bad play on words; I know that's what apps stands for).

prcdslnc13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages prcdslnc13

If you are on the fence about this get it. The hardware is fantastic. Ive had mine since july (paid around 550$ for it with keyboard) The battery still lasts forever and the whole package just works awesome.

The docking process for the tablet has come a long way since the TF101 which I also had, this one is seamless, and the keyboard is great if you dont mind 10" keyboards. I actually did a major part of my home work in some c++ programming classes on it the last two semesters.

Just get it.

FredWallace18

utopia13 wrote:Asus has a version that runs Windows RT OS (VivoTab I think it's called). You can't run windows applications on an Android tablet regardless though so your comments doesn't exactly make sense. This s a great priced tablet so not sure what you are expecting for this cost...

If you can dual-boot to Windows, you can run Windows applications. My laptop cost $400, so that's what I expect at this cost point. It's not a great laptop, but it can sure do more than a tablet.

prcdslnc13

kildar wrote:is this worth rooting? i rooted my phone because, well, the verizon bloatware was annoying the hell out of me. is there much of a reason to root this TF?

I rooted to play with some custom roms. I tried all the main players and after 5-6 roms I flashed back to stock. The stock onscreen keyboard is amazing and the bloatware is pretty tolerable. The backups you can do as root are pretty great though.

bunodosoma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunodosoma

OK, I'm in for one. I promise not to whine about shipping. We'll see if any lessons have been learned by Woot and/or Wooters. We have two of these in the family already (16gb flavor) and have been very pleased with performance, utility and the display. And of course battery life. S/N is on a sticker that is easily lost with docking so either make note of it or remove and preserve it.

bunodosoma

prcdslnc13

FredWallace18 wrote:If you can dual-boot to Windows, you can run Windows applications. My laptop cost $400, so that's what I expect at this cost point. It's not a great laptop, but it can sure do more than a tablet.

windows RT runs on ARM devices. You can't run a piece of software written for x86 processors (every windows software in existence that's not written specifically for RT) without recompiling it for an ARM processor.

These are very different animals then laptops. This is a tablet that has a dockable keyboard. And very cheap at that.

hubie12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hubie12
FredWallace18 wrote:If you can dual-boot to Windows, you can run Windows applications. My laptop cost $400, so that's what I expect at this cost point. It's not a great laptop, but it can sure do more than a tablet.

Laptops and tablets are not meant to do the same things though. A tablet is not a computer replacement. Low end laptops will be bulkier, but since you have windows you will be able to do what you're used to on a pc. Tablets at this price point are mobile media devices for the most part. If you want a tablet that can run windows applications, it has to have windows 8 installed (and not windows RT) and will run closer to $1000.

hcbrf3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hcbrf3

This is a great tablet, at a good price. I bought one from best buy, then the refurbished with the dock here last time it was offered. Either way it does run great, but gets pretty awesome with this ROM. You can run the stock kernel, or upgrade to one that makes it run at 1.8ghz.Both of mine already had 4.1 on them, so you have no choice but void warranty if you want to unlock the device. Get the refurbished, give it a while to make sure the hardware is good, then install this ROM if you want more.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2049322

cfelten01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfelten01
Cranky Doodle Donkeyrourke wrote:Seems Amazon just now wants $489 for both, if I have Prime for delivery.

If you don't care about color matching, you can get the champagne color for $319 (new) with a white/blue dock for $99.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TF300T-A1-CG-10-1-Inch-16GB-Tablet/dp/B009WIW5VS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358176344&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+tf300

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Mobile-TF300T-Champagne-tablets/dp/B008CC5BDO/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

hcbrf3

cfelten01 wrote:If you don't care about color matching, you can get the champagne color for $319 (new) with a white/blue dock for $99.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TF300T-A1-CG-10-1-Inch-16GB-Tablet/dp/B009WIW5VS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358176344&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+tf300

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Mobile-TF300T-Champagne-tablets/dp/B008CC5BDO/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

I agree that I don't really care about color either, but that one is not the same. That is the 16GB model, this is the 32GB.

Not sure if it is still available, but Best Buy was selling some of the docks for $50 recently.

hcbrf3

I didn't think I would have much need for the dock, as I work from home and always have a laptop in front of me. But it was very nice when traveling, for the extra battery life, and to use it as a stand. Also found I love having it at my desk in the dock. Holds it so I can view it. Have my weather widget in front of me, and stream via bluetooth to my home stereo. Listen to Pandora, Podcasts, or FitRadio all day without wearing down the battery in my phone.

jdevoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdevoll

Got this one last time around and it is great. Don't let the price fool you, this is nicer than an iPad. And the keyboard is somehow seamlessly integrated. I had a HC tablet that left a lot to be desired and JB is a whole new experience. Get QuickOffice HD and Dropsync and you've got a solid ultrabook replacement. With the JB, you don't even have to have a case.

bigbadbikernerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigbadbikernerd

My wife loves the one I bought her from Woot! before Christmas, but we had troubles with the dock and had to RMA it. Asus was very responsive and took care of the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

FredWallace18

prcdslnc13 wrote:windows RT runs on ARM devices. You can't run a piece of software written for x86 processors (every windows software in existence that's not written specifically for RT) without recompiling it for an ARM processor.

These are very different animals then laptops. This is a tablet that has a dockable keyboard. And very cheap at that.

Oh, right. I guess I knew that. Thanks for the info!

jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314

Where does this model fit in in regards to the Asus Transformer Prime ?

jbradleywoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jbradleywoot

Does this version of the transformer have problems with GPS?

ArrSea

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ArrSea

I'm new to the world of tablets, can I use Java with this? As in, there is a game I play online that is java based XD

Thank you!

nefer1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nefer1
Zavelin wrote:Another vote for the Gumdrop case here. The case provides solid and sturdy protection end to end. The only caveat is that you cannot use it with the keyboard dock. There are cases on Amazon.com that do allow simultaneous use of the dock, but they do not touch the ruggedness of the Gumdrop. Using these cases have kept my tablet in absolutely like new condition, which lets me resell my tablets for top dollar.

Also BIG NOTICE to the Android rooters out there: you will be prompted to update to Jellybean when your TF300 is connected to Wifi. If you wish to root your tablet, DO NOT ACCEPT THIS UPDATE. Once you update to Android 4.1/Jellybean, you will only be able to root after downloading an app from ASUS that unlocks your tablet and voids the warranty. This application records your serial and email and sends the information to ASUS, who will refuse to service the tablet for any reason, even unrelated to rooting (spontaneous combustion? self-awareness and subsequent attempts by the device to destroy it's masters? Tough luck.)

This tool should work for rooting the tablet (again, BEFORE updating to Jellybean):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1706588&highlight=unroot

If you plan to update to Jellybean and wish to keep the root, you will also need an app called "Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper" to restore the root after the update. Without Voodoo, the root will be lost, and you will have to uses ASUS's warranty-obliterating app to have any shot at re-rooting it.

I'm not very tech savvy. What do you mean to "root", and why do you not want the update jellybean???

Karen Stange

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

Recently bought this new from Best Buy -- and am loving it. Didn't get the dock, and spent $20 more for just the tablet though.... go figure.....

jmhughes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmhughes

And if I order this one - will it arrive DOA like the last one did 6 weeks ago? Hmm??

J M Hughes

thedanner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedanner
benocha wrote:oh yeah for the guys thinking the microsoft surface or samsung tabs are better, the transformer is the only tab on the market that rocks a keyboard dock with built in expansive battery. buy it. do it. do it. just do it.

I'll agree with you that this is a great tablet and keyboard dock, but I do have to correct you when you say that this is the only tablet on the market that has a battery-keyboard-dock. That's simply not true. These 5 Microsoft tablets have battery-keyboard-docks:

Asus Vivotab
Asus Vivotab RT
Acer Iconia W510
HP Envy X2
Samsung Ativ Smart PC

They are quite a bit more expensive than this combo, but I assume that's because you're getting X86 processing and a little bump in other specs.

EDIT: The Vivotab RT doesn't have X86 processing, but the rest do.

cbakeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbakeman

I bought this tablet from Woot in December and have had one strange problem with the sound / speaker that I thought I should share.

Every time I turn on the tablet after it has been powered down (either when I shut it down to conserve battery or because the battery runs down and the tablet shuts off), there is no sound from the external speaker initially. If I plug in headphones, I can hear audio, but no sound comes from the speaker. Here's the strange part - if I put the tablet to 'sleep' with a short press of the power button and leave the tablet alone for a little while, the sound will start working properly when I wake it up. (It seems like some sort of driver software doesn't load properly when the device initially boots.) From that point on, the sound works properly every time I wake the tablet up.

I did contact Asus and after their help performing a device reset (which did not resolve the issue) they issued an RMA for me to return the tablet, but at this point I have decided not to return it as everything else works perfectly, and I have found a work-around for the sound issue. Strangely, I can't find anything on the Internet about others experiencing this problem.

FYI: I am running Android 4.1 via the over-the-air update.

Otherwise, I have been very happy with this tablet!

farley1guy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages farley1guy
corvettejoe wrote:Android isn't the platform for doing this type of work. This type of hardware also just isn't suited for this type of work either. Sure... you COULD... maybe... but it's just not going to give you the power you need from a full blown laptop or the results you are looking for. Plus when done, then what? You have to copy it back to something to burn it do DVD anyway. (do yourself a favor and grab an i5 based laptop for video editing, you won't be disappointed)

Thanks for the good advice. Get the tool to suit the job, else the job becomes making a tool to suit your will.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jmhughes wrote:And if I order this one - will it arrive DOA like the last one did 6 weeks ago? Hmm??

If you do order and have any problems, support@woot.com is here for you!

I'm just hanging out, really.

jzaimz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzaimz
jet314 wrote:Where does this model fit in in regards to the Asus Transformer Prime ?

This has similar specs, but the screen is not as high of resolution. This model came out after the prime, but is designed as more of an economy model. The docks are also not compatible.

jzaimz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzaimz
autoshoes wrote:How good would this be for a college student?

My only experience with android has been on my phone so I'm not too familiar with what productivity/office apps are available.
Mainly, my concern would be for document writing and printing. What's out there (for free and/or cheap) and are they any good?

I use this for most of my documents. I'm a grad student in the sciences, and I like it because it's small enough to fit on a crowded experiment bench.

The tablet comes with Polaris office - which is ok. The best thing to do however is to install the Google drive application and just use the Google equivalent to word/excel/power point. Everything stays in sync and you can access your data everywhere. The Google drive stuff interfaces surprisingly well with the tablet.

jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314

Thank you. I did find some info as well. Only two differences I found were one speaker vs. 2 on the Prime, and Gorilla Glass on the Prime. Otherwise there wasn't much, docking station of course being one more difference which you helped me with and the of course the resolution.

Not sure I'm gonna push that magic BUY NOW or not since I have a Kindle HD 8.9 and a Xoom which is quite nice.

Thanks again.

jzaimz wrote:This has similar specs, but the screen is not as high of resolution. This model came out after the prime, but is designed as more of an economy model. The docks are also not compatible.

mossygreen

quality posts: 65 Private Messages mossygreen
jbradleywoot wrote:Does this version of the transformer have problems with GPS?

The video reviews that others have linked to say that the plastic backing solves the GPS issue.