2%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

xyrcncp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xyrcncp

Good price for a great tablet that even though it's not being officially updated by Motorola or Verizon, has a strong developer community:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=945

I've owned one for almost 2 years and it's still going strong and it's running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (4.2 is out in developer betas)

psduncan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psduncan

Any warranty with this little guy?

[MOD: 90 days Motorola]

Ubie

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Ubie

So, how does this compare to what's on the market now? I'd be moving up from an HP Touchpad running ICS. While I do have Verizon as my main cell carrier, I would not be adding this to my plan.

xyrcncp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xyrcncp
Ubie wrote:So, how does this compare to what's on the market now? I'd be moving up from an HP Touchpad running ICS

You can't really compare it to the current newer offerings. If you did, this is an older device. It's a dual core processor with a Tegra 3 chip, while most newer tablets (ie. ASUS Transformer) have quad-cores and a Tegra 4 chip.

However, as I said, it's one of the toughest tablets out there. I have Verizon as my carrier out there, but I do have it on my shared plan and its 4G LTE is crazy fast.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 2561 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

"very good" review over at cnet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/motorola-xoom-with-wifi/4505-3126_7-34841324.html

reedmo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages reedmo

I bet 4G coverage is great in South Bend, IN!

vi6vi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vi6vi

I picked one of these up at Costco when the product launched, the wifi only version. This tablet runs all the apps I need, has plenty of space and has survived 2 years with a now 6 year old...

Bottom line - great product at a great price.

MyPooka

quality posts: 14 Private Messages MyPooka
xyrcncp wrote:You can't really compare it to the current newer offerings. If you did, this is an older device. It's a dual core processor with a Tegra 3 chip, while most newer tablets (ie. ASUS Transformer) have quad-cores and a Tegra 4 chip.

You're a little ahead of yourself on the Tegra front. The Xoom is a Tegra 2 device. Tegra 3 is what's currently out. Tegra 4 is still on the way.

baillard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages baillard

WiFi only version has Android 4.1, this being the Verizon 4G version only has 4.0.4. 4.1 should eventually be released, but Verizon is taking forever.

Where did I put my my quill and inkpot?

quintman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quintman

Really enjoy using my xoom. Upgraded from an hp touchpad. It's much faster and lighter. Don't have mine on 4g but I'm sure that would be handy for someone more on the go.

darks1lenc3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages darks1lenc3

If i had the money, I would've jumped on the NEW 32GB XYBOARD that was in the woot-off, since it was the updated version of the XOOM. The Xyboard was wifi only, but I dont care since I have a 4G LTE phone, and it was only $70 more.

backpack of crap 12/20/13
bag of crap 2/17/14

Varinewu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Varinewu

sorry, totally tech newbie here with a couple of questions. Lost my ipad, thinking of getting this as replacement, but not sure about how Android works.

1. What does it mean "up-gradable to 4.0"? Is there a cost? Is it more complicated than an ipad update which is really just tapping one key?

2. Do all tablets run on Android 4.0 have access to the same apps? i.e. is there a difference in apps between this one and the ASUS transformer on woot sellout a few hours ago?

3. Which one would you recommend, the ASUS transformer or the Xoom?

much appreciated.

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial

I LOVE my Xoom.

vi6vi

1. What does it mean "up-gradable to 4.0"? Is there a cost? Is it more complicated than an ipad update which is really just tapping one key?

Yes, the process is just as easy as it is on the iPad. I have used both.

Personally, I think this is a better deal than the ASUS device.

MyPooka

quality posts: 14 Private Messages MyPooka
Ubie wrote:So, how does this compare to what's on the market now?

Well...that's a tough one. The big difference is that the Zoom is built like a tank. This was Motorola's initial foray into the tablet market and the WiFi only version was picked by Google to be a "Google experience" device. (The LTE version isn't getting the "Google Experience" support.)

There's a pretty deep developer community with this device, and you can pretty much run any current Android release.

On the tech specs front, the Tegra 2 processor in this device is no longer the screamer it was by comparison when introduced. You will however get acceptable performance in Androd ICS (and higher by a dot release or two) if not quite as buttery smooth as current gen tablets running Tegra 3 and similar class processors.

Great tablet when introduced. Still very good today.

Varinewu

vi6vi wrote:1. What does it mean "up-gradable to 4.0"? Is there a cost? Is it more complicated than an ipad update which is really just tapping one key?

Yes, the process is just as easy as it is on the iPad. I have used both.

Personally, I think this is a better deal than the ASUS device.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. From what I can see, the ASUS is faster, but the Xoom is cheaper and has 4G. Any other major difference I should note? Can anyone help me out on the app question? Same pool of apps for both?

vi6vi

Pretty sure most would agree with this comment.

This is the best 10" tablet you can buy for $219.00.

Varinewu

vi6vi wrote:
This is the best 10" tablet you can buy for $219.00.

Oh yeah, having just lost a $800 device, I am feeling poor and inclined to be economical...

darks1lenc3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages darks1lenc3
Varinewu wrote:Thanks for the info. Very helpful. From what I can see, the ASUS is faster, but the Xoom is cheaper and has 4G. Any other major difference I should note? Can anyone help me out on the app question? Same pool of apps for both?

Yep all the same apps, the google play store is pretty much the same across all android devices

backpack of crap 12/20/13
bag of crap 2/17/14

Varinewu

darks1lenc3 wrote:Yep all the same apps, the google play store is pretty much the same across all android devices

Thank you. I am learning...

Thinking about cancelling my on-hold order for ASUS Transformer at Gamestop and get this one instead. $80 bucks cheaper is a nice saving.

wetsandwich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wetsandwich

IS this actually locked to the Verizon network or that's just what you would need to use 4G?

vi6vi

wetsandwich wrote:IS this actually locked to the Verizon network or that's just what you would need to use 4G?

Verizon would be the service provider the device is provisioned to if you chose to activate the 4G LTE service.

Wifi, is not locked and will work in your home, your friends home, office and Starbucks....etc

ancyker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ancyker

This is a decent tablet, it's removed from the Verizon site so this is an end-of-life product. I think it was $250-300 a few months ago. It can surf the web and do some light gaming such as Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds, etc. I doubt it can do anything with true 3D.

If you have Verizon you can add this to your share everything plan for $10 a month. This is a great price if this is your situation.

If you don't have Verizon, a tablet-only share everything plan would run you $80/month for a mere 2GB or $120/month for 8GB. These plans are cheaper when many devices are added. They do have true tablet-only plans but you must call to get pricing. This is a pretty bad deal if you are not already with Verizon and only want the tablet on Verizon.

If you don't want Verizon you could still use this tablet on WiFi just like any other tablet but I don't recommend this. A good portion of the product price is for the 4G LTE chip. I'd wait for a woot deal on a non-4G tablet and get that. There are ones on here a few times a month. You can tether this, or any other WiFi enabled tablet, to a phone (even an iPhone) if you have that ability on your smart phone.

This isn't a top of the line tablet, but if you want 4G and are on a budget it's a good choice if you aren't running apps that are very demanding.

One thing to keep in mind: All carrier tablets are behind the latest and greatest. This means you'll never have the best specs and a cell data modem in one device.

I personally have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" from Verizon, it carries a price tag of $500. It's the best tablet from Verizon and it only has a dual core 1.5GHz CPU and doesn't even have Jelly Bean yet.

AZScott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AZScott

This is an excellent deal and what makes it better than new is I have owned mine since the day they came out and I had to deal with all of the lies and BS that Verizon and Motorola put out as we are looking for the Newer OS, the SD card slot to work, and 4G finally.

A buyer of this today gets all of what we waited for and complained about for $HUNDRED$ Less and all the owner will have to do is upgrade the Honeycomb to IceCream.

OH YES VERIZON EVEN RENEGED ON THE INSURED COVERAGE but the new owner gets a GREAT Tablet that is VERY WELL BUILT >>>AND<<< IT COMES WITH THE PROTECTIVE CASE.

+++PLUS+++

Check out ebay for home and car chargers, an extra standard dock or the HD dock and other accessories for very low prices!

2 weeks ago I bought the case that comes with it and a spare dock with power supply for about $15 shipped.

This is one of the reasons NOT to be on the bleeding edge of technology and buy the cool stuff when it first comes out; you get excellent stuff for what people like me paid way to much for and then you get the accessories for a steal!

BTW I LOVE MY XOOM and would not sell it for this price!!!

THIS IS A BUY BUY BUY!!!

vi6vi

A good portion of the product price is for the 4G LTE chip. I'd wait for a woot deal on a non-4G tablet and get that. There are ones on here a few times a month. You can tether this to a phone (even an iPhone) if you have that ability on your smart phone.

The Wifi Only, 16GB version of this tablet sells for about $199-209 online including sites like Groupon before holiday. So, twice the memory (32gb) and a 4G Verizon chip for $219 is a great offer. Nice job Woot.

I think I am off to bed, Woot has kept me up a little too late tonight...

baillard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages baillard
ancyker wrote:
I personally have the Motorola Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" from Verizon, it carries a price tag of $500. It's the best tablet from Verizon and it only has a dual core 1.5GHz CPU and doesn't even have Jelly Bean yet.

I think you mean the SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 10.1"?

Where did I put my my quill and inkpot?

Varinewu

vi6vi wrote:
The Wifi Only, 16GB version of this tablet sells for about $199-209 online including sites like Groupon before holiday. So, twice the memory (32gb) and a 4G Verizon chip for $219 is a great offer. Nice job Woot.

I don't really need the memory or the 4G...would love to get a 16GB WIFI for 50 bucks cheaper or something like that. Mostly use tablet to browse the web and read books anyway. Should I wait? This does seem like a great deal though.

nextcity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nextcity

Does this use a full size or microSIM Card? Is this SIM Card included...or must it be obtained from Verizon?

photoagent101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages photoagent101

Sorry for the newbie-ish question. I'd like to use this Xoom with Verizon data access in a fairly remote location that has no other internet access. The Verizon coverage map shows that the area has good Verizon coverage. Will I be able to share my Verizon data with other devices using the Xoom as a wifi hotspot? I assume that this is a standard Android offering but am currently an iPad user.

sakanagai

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sakanagai
Varinewu wrote:sorry, totally tech newbie here with a couple of questions. Lost my ipad, thinking of getting this as replacement, but not sure about how Android works.

2. Do all tablets run on Android 4.0 have access to the same apps? i.e. is there a difference in apps between this one and the ASUS transformer on woot sellout a few hours ago?

much appreciated.

1. The Xoom ships with an older version of Android (3.X). Once you connect it to the internet, the tablet should detect that an update is available. There is no cost for the upgrade. There are only a couple of taps needed to start the update, but it can take a few minutes to complete, depending on how many apps you have installed.

2. No, some apps are restricted to some tablets, mostly on the basis of hardware (screen size, resolution, processor). Some Tegra-enhanced games are only available for devices running a Tegra processor (the Xoom has Tegra 2); some, like Sonic Episode II THD, require Tegra 3, the next generation. More about the Transformer in (3).

3. Which Transformer are you talking about? The original, TF101, runs mostly the same hardware. It comes with 16GB storage by default, while this Xoom has 32GB and LTE. The Transformer Pad, TF300, is still available and runs a newer Tegra 3 processor; it also has the promise of a Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) update from Asus. Between the TF300 and Xoom, I'd go with the TF300 hands down. Between the TF101 and Xoom, it is close, but I'd lean towards the Xoom unless you are getting and plan to use the keyboard dock. For the record, I own a TF101.

caderoux

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caderoux
nextcity wrote:Does this use a full size or microSIM Card? Is this SIM Card included...or must it be obtained from Verizon?

Verizon doesn't use a SIM

sakanagai

photoagent101 wrote:Sorry for the newbie-ish question. I'd like to use this Xoom with Verizon data access in a fairly remote location that has no other internet access. The Verizon coverage map shows that the area has good Verizon coverage. Will I be able to share my Verizon data with other devices using the Xoom as a wifi hotspot? I assume that this is a standard Android offering but am currently an iPad user.

YES! You certainly can. Keep in mind that wireless data through Verizon is more expensive than most residential options. I'd double check the going rates with Verizon before relying on it. Can you not get Satellite-based internet?

sakanagai

nextcity wrote:Does this use a full size or microSIM Card? Is this SIM Card included...or must it be obtained from Verizon?

caderoux wrote:Verizon doesn't use a SIM

Verizon doesn't use SIM cards for their CDMA networks, but they did start using them with their 4G LTE network. The Xoom 4G uses the larger SIM cards, not Micro SIMs. It should include SIM card already, though.

buytick

quality posts: 4 Private Messages buytick

Been using one of these for a year. XOOM is built like a tank, reminds me of the original Razor phone. I use the wi-fi only and it is very fast, decent battery, has Play Store and runs most apps. I love it, wouldn't trade it for an Ipad. Takes great pics.

vi6vi

sakanagai wrote:Verizon doesn't use SIM cards for their CDMA networks, but they did start using them with their 4G LTE network. The Xoom 4G uses the larger SIM cards, not Micro SIMs. It should include SIM card already, though.

Pretty sure the Sim Card will need to be picked up from Verizon upon activation.

vi6vi

Varinewu wrote:I don't really need the memory or the 4G...would love to get a 16GB WIFI for 50 bucks cheaper or something like that. Mostly use tablet to browse the web and read books anyway. Should I wait? This does seem like a great deal though.

You will never find the 16gb for anything less than $200. I think you should pick one of these up, much better deal and while you may not need the memory now it will be nice to have in the event you need it sometime.

gmkelly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmkelly
Varinewu wrote:Thank you. I am learning...

Thinking about cancelling my on-hold order for ASUS Transformer at Gamestop and get this one instead. $80 bucks cheaper is a nice saving.

Get the Transformer.

The Xoom is a refurb with a 90 day warranty while the Transformer will be new with a 1 yr warranty.

The Xoom has a dual-core Tegra 2 while the Transformer has a quad-core Tegra 3. That's a huge jump in performance

The Transformer has option of the keyboard dock which gives you a keyboard/trackpad, full sized USB ports and almost doubles the battery life.

sakanagai

vi6vi wrote:Pretty sure the Sim Card will need to be picked up from Verizon upon activation.

Ah. They must have changed it then. When you sent the 3G ones in for the 4G upgrade, they'd have the LTE SIM installed already so you could do the activation from home.

Princesspooh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Princesspooh
sakanagai wrote:YES! You certainly can. Keep in mind that wireless data through Verizon is more expensive than most residential options. I'd double check the going rates with Verizon before relying on it. Can you not get Satellite-based internet?

Just wanted to add this info regarding Verizon data plans for tablets. You can purchase data on the fly which is good for 30 days (or until you exhaust your purchased data) with prepaid data.

I do this frequently when I have to travel out of state to visit elderly family members who have no computers much less internet access.

Here's what is currently posted on the Verizon website. (The formatting doesn't quite line up on this website, but one can probably figure out by looking that $20 = 1GB data; $30 = 2GB, etc.)

Prepaid Monthly Plans for Tablets
Monthly Access Fee $20 $30 $50 $80
Monthly Data Allowance 1 GB 2 GB 5 GB 10 GB
No activation or reconnection fees and no overage charges!