eperrin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eperrin

can you run the Microsoft Office Suite, mainly excel and word? thanks

claynpotter


quality posts: 5 Private Messages claynpotter

I have Samsung gaxaly note 10.1 and a couple of other tablets running android along with iPad. My favorite is galaxy note with s pen simply because I can take a note at lectures and edit my photo in Photoshop touch.

Android is os (operating system) as in IOS for iPad. If manufacture or carrier, in this vase Verizon, release version upgrade, ususally the tablet will promp you and you follow couple of clicks and you are done. Android version has code name: 4.0.1 is Icecream sandwich and 4.1 is Jellybean, etc.,. For example I bought Visio tab at selloutwoot. It came with Android 2.3 GINGERBREAD. When I used for a couple hours, it autoupdated to 3.2 Honeycomb.
Apps can be purchased at GoogleMarket or Amazon Market place like AppleApp store. Usually Androids apps run under 2.3 would run under 4.1.
After Apple release IOS 5 and screw up the podcasting, I'm using Android tablet with podcast app.



Varinewu wrote:sorry, totally tech newbie here with a couple of questions. Lost my ipad, thinking of getting this as replacement, but not sure about how Android works.

1. What does it mean "up-gradable to 4.0"? Is there a cost? Is it more complicated than an ipad update which is really just tapping one key?

2. Do all tablets run on Android 4.0 have access to the same apps? i.e. is there a difference in apps between this one and the ASUS transformer on woot sellout a few hours ago?

3. Which one would you recommend, the ASUS transformer or the Xoom?

much appreciated.



mtstricker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtstricker



I have Verizon Fios, so that takes care of the wifi in the house. I want to know if you have the capability to use any wifi service when you are on the go? But for the fastest, I should get VZ?



claynpotter


quality posts: 5 Private Messages claynpotter

No and yes. Microsoft version of office will not run under Android. But the good news is there is Polaris Office which is compatible with the Ms office. It has Excel, Word, and, Powerpoint. If you have one of those bluetooth keyboard and mouse (or USB, if your tablet has host USB port), it's like using a laptop.
My Samsung Galaxy came with the Polaris Office free, but not sure about this one. You may have to check Google Playstore to see if it is a free app.

ancyker


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ancyker
mtstricker wrote:I have Verizon Fios, so that takes care of the wifi in the house. I want to know if you have the capability to use any wifi service when you are on the go? But for the fastest, I should get VZ?



You can use any WiFi that is open or that you have the password to, but as I said in a previous post it may be better to wait for a non-LTE enabled device if you don't want the LTE connectivity. Part of the price is in the LTE chip. If you wait for a non-LTE device on woot you will end up with a faster tablet. A lot of people are pointing out the non-LTE version of this tablet is about the same as this one in terms of price. While that may be true, if the non-LTE version was on woot it'd be even cheaper ($100-150?). Keep this in mind.

Princesspooh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Princesspooh
eperrin wrote:can you run the Microsoft Office Suite, mainly excel and word? thanks



No, you cannot run Microsoft Office as that runs on a Windows operating system, and this tablet uses an Android OS.

That said, there are several Android apps which are compatible with Word/Excel/PP all available in the Google Play Store.

A free one to check out is Kingsoft Office. Others include Quick Office Pro, Documents to Go Pro, Office Suite Pro. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, so it's best to determine in advance which would best suit your particular needs.

eperrin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eperrin
claynpotter wrote:No and yes. Microsoft version of office will not run under Android. But the good news is there is Polaris Office which is compatible with the Ms office. It has Excel, Word, and, Powerpoint. If you have one of those bluetooth keyboard and mouse (or USB, if your tablet has host USB port), it's like using a laptop.
My Samsung Galaxy came with the Polaris Office free, but not sure about this one. You may have to check Google Playstore to see if it is a free app.



Thank you

eperrin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eperrin
Princesspooh wrote:No, you cannot run Microsoft Office as that runs on a Windows operating system, and this tablet uses an Android OS.

That said, there are several Android apps which are compatible with Word/Excel/PP all available in the Google Play Store.

A free one to check out is Kingsoft Office. Others include Quick Office Pro, Documents to Go Pro, Office Suite Pro. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, so it's best to determine in advance which would best suit your particular needs.



Thank you

squane123


quality posts: 0 Private Messages squane123

I purchased this from Woot nearly 2 years ago. I used it for my crappy night shift job and would put nearly 20 movies on it. This thing is still going strong and I thing I may be purchasing this one just so I can mount it in the Jeep.... Great freaking price. I think I paid 399$ here on woot. You cant go wrong. Keep in mind it is all about the case. I purchased an otterbox for it.

ashli143


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143
redspecial wrote:I LOVE my Xoom.



I concur - it's an awesome price for this tablet. I have a 32gb micro sd that I have loaded full of movies and this device plays them all! The games are fun and it's very sturdy and responsive. I've had no issues since I've purchased it over a year ago for my then 5 year old (now 6). I have an ipad and I would hog her tablet because I loved it so much!

kathy4051


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathy4051
mtstricker wrote:I have Verizon Fios, so that takes care of the wifi in the house. I want to know if you have the capability to use any wifi service when you are on the go? But for the fastest, I should get VZ?



Wifi works with any unsecured network instantly and of course with passwords for secured networks. You need to have Verizon cell phone service for the 4G usage. What that means is when WiFi is unavailable the cell coverage always is. I can use this in the car when traveling because the Verizon cell phone coverage area is fantastic. I never lose a connection.

Solkre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solkre
reedmo wrote:I bet 4G coverage is great in South Bend, IN!



If I have it here in Goshen, South Bend better have it!

gak0090


quality posts: 71 Private Messages gak0090

This is an OK deal for a last generation Tegra 2 tablet. It also includes what appears as a decent case which is worth about $20. My wife has a transformer (1st gen) and my kids have acer a500 and the Tegra 2 is still a decent chipset and doesn't get hung up. The action isn't quite as buttery smooth and quick as the new Nexus 7 I got my wife for Christmas,but there are no apps or games that it can't play. Another alternative (if you feel like taking a chance) is to check out what is coming out of China. Caveat Emptor, but for the same $$ you can get a new quad core with an IPS screen- here is one example:

http://www.gadgetgreats.com/tablet-pc-1/brand-name/ainol/ainol-novo-10-hero-ii-android-4-1-tablet-pc-10-1-quad-core-1-5ghz-act-atm7029-16gb-novo10-hero-2.html

I highly recommend you checkout all the reviews and buy it from a reputable seller, if you go this route. Todays woot is a decent deal. If you feel like taking a gamble though there is other stuff out there that is a better buy, albeit higher risk.

1920 x 1200, quad core for $259
http://www.gadgetgreats.com/tablet-pc-1/brand-name/ainol/ainol-novo-10-captain-ips-tablet-pc-10-1-capacitive-quad-core-android-4-1-1920-1200-gps-bt-novo10-captain.html

kay40


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kay40

I have a XOOM with the Jellybean upgrade...now I can not download a flash player...so I can't stream movies.I'm not tech savy, with that I haven't found a way to watch movies(except crackle app). Any suggestions?

gak0090


quality posts: 71 Private Messages gak0090
kay40 wrote:I have a XOOM with the Jellybean upgrade...now I can not download a flash player...so I can't stream movies.I'm not tech savy, with that I haven't found a way to watch movies(except crackle app). Any suggestions?



This will guide you through it.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57554629-285/install-adobe-flash-player-on-jelly-bean-devices/

mrgulio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrgulio

I purchased the wifi version of this tablet from woot while it was still running Honeycomb and have loved it. The Xoom is a flagship device so it's gotten all the Android updates pushed to it within a week of the release. It's currently running Ice Cream Sandwich and doesn't seem to suffer from it's age.

croettger


quality posts: 1 Private Messages croettger
sakanagai wrote:YES! You certainly can. Keep in mind that wireless data through Verizon is more expensive than most residential options. I'd double check the going rates with Verizon before relying on it. Can you not get Satellite-based internet?



Maybe they want to actually do cool things on the internet like netflix, youtube(doable but oh so painful), online co-op games, download software. I will admit I haven't used the newest gen. of satellite that Hughes started pushing last year sometime, maybe it has really improved and they no longer throttle you to almost dial-up speeds for 24hrs if you have exceeded 500mb.

bpb34


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpb34

This has been the going rate for this specific model for the past few months. It has been an ebay deal of the day and is offered on and off from one day sale. I bought the ebay deal of the day version for $210 with a free docking station which was sort of useless. We also own an iPad 3.

For around this price it is a good deal. Not super great but still solid. The tegra 2 should be enough to run most programs for the next couple of years and will always work for surfing the internet, watching movies, and listening to music.

Some of the pluses for this model are that you can very cheaply add another 32GB of storage for 64GB although the OS does not allow for apps to be installed on the microSD card. Accessories are dirt cheap. The portofolio case goes for $5 on amazon with the nicer case selling for only a few dollars more. There is also a speaker dock which inludes a spare charger that can also be had for around $20 which is a screaming deal.

The 4G card is always running so it does affect battery life BUT it can be removed and probably even sold for anywhere from $20-50 since it fits in the wifi version. Check the xoom boards for interested buyers.

This xoom is a bit bulkier than the ipad but not so much that it would be any type of issue for 99% of users. I do think the screen on the ipad is much better than the xoom but probably not enough to justify spending twice as much. The ipad also runs a little smoother but not that much.

Considering that this is a brand name, it gets android 4.0 without rooting, has every feature you could want and then some (4G LTE), has dirt cheap accessories, and should hold its value for a while it's a recommended buy.

PS: The cover for the verizon SIM card will be missing. It is the case on all these refurbs. You can get a new one by chatting with motorola support possibly for free but more than likely it will cost $5. It's not necassary but I still bought it.

tomshoaff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomshoaff

Can someone please confirm that this device will work WITHOUT cellular data, and can work on WIFI only. Thanks.

colbytitus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages colbytitus
tomshoaff wrote:Can someone please confirm that this device will work WITHOUT cellular data, and can work on WIFI only. Thanks.



Yes it will work wifi only. I have had both the wifi/4g version and the wifi only.
I have been pretty happy with it. I'm not an Android fan but the device is great. I use it for college, load all of my books on it, and also connected it to my Hulu Plus account. You can watch either on the tablet or connect it to a TV via HDMI - awesome HD picture. I also use it to stream Pandora. Nice speakers.
It will sync with a PC or Laptop so you can load media easily.

need4mospd


quality posts: 1 Private Messages need4mospd

You throw a woot-off to entice me to spend all of my disposable income on useless crap I don't need, and then put up something I actually wanted the next day.

[Insert potty words directed to all your mothers]

birute


quality posts: 1 Private Messages birute

I have been trying to find the app that will make internet pages look like those on my pc instead of a mobile device. When I bought my Xoom last year someone posted information on this app but I did not write the info down and have not been able to find it. Can anyone help me out?


I own this model and have been very pleased with it.

coachwoodward


quality posts: 1 Private Messages coachwoodward

Is this a good tablet to get for my (almost) 4 yo grandson to run apps?

Is there many preschool learning apps? How expensive are they? I have a few on my iPhone & he loves them.

I am new to mobile internet (just got my 1st smartphone 2 weeks ago) & don't have Verizon so will only be using wifi. That being said, will it run the apps that are already installed when not connected to the internet? Like in the car on long car rides?

I am itching to pull the trigger on this one. If I do, what is the best case that you recommend to withstand toddlers?

Denimbear


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
redspecial wrote:I LOVE my Xoom.



AGREED!! I love my Xoom to that I bought right here at my Fav. site Woot I use mine all the time . The deal breaker on this piticular Xoom is that you have to be locked into A contract with a phone co. i dont like Contracts . Besides I got me a Mifi now for my netz to go

Android to me is Lot more easier to use and a LOT more flexible. And they do AUTO update , when you turn you tablet in when updates are avaiable. And they even update the Apps for you too. See Google and Linux owns android , And google and Amazon has a ton of Free Apps too. where that other Tablet dont. I'll Take my android to the Grave with me b4 I would that Fruity Tablet .
Im just that sold on mine

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone


tigrange


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tigrange
ancyker wrote:This is a decent tablet, it's removed from the Verizon site so this is an end-of-life product. I think it was $250-300 a few months ago. It can surf the web and do some light gaming such as Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds, etc. I doubt it can do anything with true 3D.



Having played Dead Space, Shadow Gun, Dead Trigger, Nova 3, Samurai II-THD, etc. on a Tegra 2... I don't see the problem. True, I don't know if Mass Effect Infiltrator is out for Tegra 2 (I haven't checked), but I have seen every other major 3D title in the app store and I don't think they will run badly based on my experiences.

jamesonbirrell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesonbirrell
sakanagai wrote:Verizon doesn't use SIM cards for their CDMA networks, but they did start using them with their 4G LTE network. The Xoom 4G uses the larger SIM cards, not Micro SIMs. It should include SIM card already, though.



DailySteals.com has always done me well, until I bought this with them during the holiday season. Mine did not have a SIM card internally, since I don't use the 4G (yet) I haven't looked into how to get a replacement. It's also missing the lid/cover to theSD card slot. Anyone know where to get a replacement (for free).

Another huge question... One of the versions I picked up (we have three for the family) is the 3G, I got it before the upgrade to 4G was offered by Motorola, but didn't know about the offer until it was too late. Or was it? There is where my question begins... Does anyone know if I can still get the newer 4G chip set put in? How? I may be willing to pay to have it, but would love to hear that Motorola would just honor it. Please, someone respond - I'd love you got it.

Denimbear


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
claynpotter wrote:I have Samsung gaxaly note 10.1 and a couple of other tablets running android along with iPad. My favorite is galaxy note with s pen simply because I can take a note at lectures and edit my photo in Photoshop touch.

Android is os (operating system) as in IOS for iPad. If manufacture or carrier, in this vase Verizon, release version upgrade, ususally the tablet will promp you and you follow couple of clicks and you are done. Android version has code name: 4.0.1 is Icecream sandwich and 4.1 is Jellybean, etc.,. For example I bought Visio tab at selloutwoot. It came with Android 2.3 GINGERBREAD. When I used for a couple hours, it autoupdated to 3.2 Honeycomb.
Apps can be purchased at GoogleMarket or Amazon Market place like AppleApp store. Usually Androids apps run under 2.3 would run under 4.1.
After Apple release IOS 5 and screw up the podcasting, I'm using Android tablet with podcast app.



Nope updates and upgrades are free with Android

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone


nanlyn26


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nanlyn26

Can you use a keyboard with this?

joecooool


quality posts: 18 Private Messages joecooool

I have the 32gb wifi only version I bought from Woot in October of 2011 and its still running strong.

joecooool


quality posts: 18 Private Messages joecooool
nanlyn26 wrote:Can you use a keyboard with this?



A Bluetooth keyboard would work.

dhomstad


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dhomstad

Tech specs make it look like the viewsonic G tablet I purchased back in August of ... 2011? Same hardware but $25 cheaper. The rate at which technology advances is just awe-inspiring!!!

I know what you are saying mr overoptimistic buyer, "but dhomstad, this has android 3.1 and a 4G LTE radio"

First off, mr buyer, I'd like to clarify your terms "4G LTE" is a dumbed-down marketing term, it's simply an LTE radio, capable of 4G speeds (and not the original 4G spec!).

More to the point, if you're using mobile 4g internet, get one of those mini 4g modems. That way you can use one modem for multiple devices. This way, your not paying a qualcomm fee every device you purchase.

Also, Android 3.1. Oooh and it can even upgrade to 4.0... wow! that's simply amazing...

If you're buying this because ipads are too expensive, then go for it.

daniel M Homstad

Ailetoile


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Ailetoile
coachwoodward wrote:Is this a good tablet to get for my (almost) 4 yo grandson to run apps?

Is there many preschool learning apps? How expensive are they? I have a few on my iPhone & he loves them.

I am new to mobile internet (just got my 1st smartphone 2 weeks ago) & don't have Verizon so will only be using wifi. That being said, will it run the apps that are already installed when not connected to the internet? Like in the car on long car rides?

I am itching to pull the trigger on this one. If I do, what is the best case that you recommend to withstand toddlers?



This would be great for your grandson! It is built like a tank, so durability is no problem.

You will have many fun and/or educational apps to choose from, many of them free. Unless they require Internet access to function (most apps do not), you can use them without Internet once they're installed.

If you have any digital media your grandson likes such as music and movies or tv shows, that expandable memory comes in very handy, too. It's my husband's favorite thing about our Xoom.

coachwoodward


quality posts: 1 Private Messages coachwoodward
Ailetoile wrote:This would be great for your grandson! It is built like a tank, so durability is no problem.

You will have many fun and/or educational apps to choose from, many of them free. Unless they require Internet access to function (most apps do not), you can use them without Internet once they're installed.

If you have any digital media your grandson likes such as music and movies or tv shows, that expandable memory comes in very handy, too. It's my husband's favorite thing about our Xoom.



Thanks for the info!

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Man...so tempted. This seems like a very solid entry into the Android space. I almost bought one from dailysteals when they had them for $199 for half of last year.

This thing can officially go to Jelly bean 4.1, and that's it (XDA rooty toot required afterward...if supported)
So much new hot hardware coming down the pipe, though. Nexus 7.7, Galaxy Note 8, iPad mini II....dang

move along

gak0090


quality posts: 71 Private Messages gak0090
coachwoodward wrote:Is this a good tablet to get for my (almost) 4 yo grandson to run apps?

Is there many preschool learning apps? How expensive are they? I have a few on my iPhone & he loves them.

I am new to mobile internet (just got my 1st smartphone 2 weeks ago) & don't have Verizon so will only be using wifi. That being said, will it run the apps that are already installed when not connected to the internet? Like in the car on long car rides?

I am itching to pull the trigger on this one. If I do, what is the best case that you recommend to withstand toddlers?



Ailetoile was right on with that response. The only thing I wanted to add that for a child it is important to get them a decent tablet like this instead of some cheap off brand Pandigital, Coby, Archos...Some people are worried the child make break the tablet, so they don't want to spend the extra $$- in fact the bigger problem is that those cheapo tablets perform so horribly that the kids don't want any part of them because they are sluggish, freeze-up or can't run many apps. You are right on, buying this for a kid and staying away from the cheap stuff. If you don't like the case that comes with it- just check out Amazon, they have plenty to choose from.

richg0404


quality posts: 2 Private Messages richg0404

I bought the wifi/32gb version of this about a year ago from woot and have loved it. My son's new Asus transformer is much lighter but the construction of this just "feels" better to me, more rugged.

Mine is running ICS and I am debating upgrading to Jellybean but can't come up with a real reason to do so. It runs everything that I want to run and is configured the way I like.

I have a 64GB microSD card in mine which is packed with music and podcasts. The internal speakers deliver pretty decent stereo sound and it sounds fantastic through my Phillips bluetooth dock.

I am typing this on my Xoom with the motorola bluetooth keyboard which makes life much easier. I also have gotten a bluetooth mouse.

The only thing that I would complain about is that the Xoom doesn't charge with a regular micro (or mini) usb charger. But the charger that it uses is readily available on ebay.

Varinewu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Varinewu

Thank you everyone for all the great (although sometimes conflicting) advice I have received on the Xoom vs Asus Transformer tf300. This is a great board! Need to pick up or cancel my on-hold order at Gamestop for the Asus Transformer in a few hours and this deal ends today, so either way, I am buying something day..

Listing the argument for both devices here to help me make the decision, let me know if I am missing anything.

Asus:

New, vs Refurb
1 year warranty vs 90 days
Faster processor, quad core.
optional dock with keyboard (I will probably not use this feature)

Xoom:

almost a 100 bucks cheaper once tax is factored in. (Gamstop has Asus for 300 plus tax)
4G Chip
Comes with a case (minor point, I know).

Me: Uses tablet mostly for web, email, some movie streaming, the occasional tetris or angry birds and as an ereader. This tablet will replace a 64GB Ipad3 that I lost (sad sad story).

Okay...having laid it out there, I just have to close my eyes and make up my mind. Feel free to nudge me one way or the other.

tfrain


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tfrain
richg0404 wrote:The only thing that I would complain about is that the Xoom doesn't charge with a regular micro (or mini) usb charger. But the charger that it uses is readily available on ebay.



That's what I just figured out today. A coworker has this minus 4G and he told me it has a separate charger (and it is a tiny connector). I have sooooooo many micro usb cables and plugs around that I hate to get away from that.

I'm selling my touchpads with cyanogenmod9 in order to get something with native android as touchpads have been a little buggy.

lyman123


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lyman123
Varinewu wrote:sorry, totally tech newbie here with a couple of questions. Lost my ipad, thinking of getting this as replacement, but not sure about how Android works.

1. What does it mean "up-gradable to 4.0"? Is there a cost? Is it more complicated than an ipad update which is really just tapping one key?

2. Do all tablets run on Android 4.0 have access to the same apps? i.e. is there a difference in apps between this one and the ASUS transformer on woot sellout a few hours ago?

3. Which one would you recommend, the ASUS transformer or the Xoom?

much appreciated.



ASUS TF101 is a nice, first gen tablet. It has a GREAT IPS screen, very similar to the Gen1 iPad.

The speakers leave a little to be desired, and it does not have a USB connector. I really like my TF101 - nothing better for watching videos (with headphones for best sound).

No experience with the Xoom, but my $.02 on the TF101.