WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sony 16GB 9.4" Xperia Tablet S

Speed to First Woot:
14m 20.113s
First Sucker:
ultradd7
Last Wooter to Woot:
jamesclaflin
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 9% of Tech Woots
Top 43% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 10% of Tech Woots
Top 23% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 37% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 27% < 10 woots
  • 12% < 25 woots
  • 15% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 31% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 17% one year old
  • 50% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 92% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 3% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
2%
3%
3%
1%
1%
5%
6%
9%
8%
7%
8%
6%
2%
5%
5%
2%
3%
4%
7%
2%
4%
3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2260 Private Messages lichme

morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

This is probably THE best tablet that nobody ever bought! It is actually quite good.

thardesty


quality posts: 2 Private Messages thardesty
lichme wrote:One lonely Amazon Review
Woot-Off Sale



Unless you look at USA Amazon Review :/

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 2543 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

The people of New Zealand really enjoy this

jgrundner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgrundner

Like the reviews at Amazon point out, the proprietary port kinda kills it.

Jpres888


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jpres888

Better than an ASUS transformer TF300?

ep11365


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ep11365

Looks like not factory refurbished from Sony. I will pass.

ep11365


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ep11365
Jpres888 wrote:Better than an ASUS transformer TF300?



The Xperia S has longer battery life than the TF300.

tylerbrainerd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tylerbrainerd
ep11365 wrote:The Xperia S has longer battery life than the TF300.



It's thinner too, and a better contrast screen. I really love mine. Best tablet of the five I've owned

Tarantino


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tarantino

I have the S1 Sony Tablet and I love it. If I were looking for another tablet..

jamesclaflin


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin

Ive always been an apple mobile guy (dont kill me!) But ive always wanted to try android OS and have been waiting and waiting for a good deal to snag something android! Did i find it?
Any comment would be great with advice!
I dont really care about the port (i never do anything with a port anyway) But is this much better than a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2?

Darksoul13


quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13

The Z version will be out after may. Pre-orders are up in the Sony store UK. The US store has yet to update. I am waiting for another price drop. That proprietary connector is a big drawback, especially when you have to swap it out when you need to either charge or use an hdmi adapter.

Silly Rabbit......

Darksoul13


quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13
jamesclaflin wrote:Ive always been an apple mobile guy (dont kill me!) But ive always wanted to try android OS and have been waiting and waiting for a good deal to snag something android! Did i find it?
Any comment would be great with advice!
I dont really care about the port (i never do anything with a port anyway) But is this much better than a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2?



Depends what are looking for specifically?

http://tablets.techcrunch.com/compare/138-157/Sony-Xperia-Tablet-S-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2-10-1

Silly Rabbit......

jamesclaflin


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin
Darksoul13 wrote:Depends what are looking for specifically?

http://tablets.techcrunch.com/compare/138-157/Sony-Xperia-Tablet-S-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2-10-1



Thx man, it sure looks better from that in almost every way!
Now i just need to decide, 220 for this or 150 for a 7 inch galaxy tab

kuma99


quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

i bot one. i use it as alarm clock. it wakes me up better than a $10 alarm clock. oh, wait- no it doesn't.

it's ok- works ok on DLNA network. pain to root and rom, if i recall- not as bad as doing kindle fire hd, tho.

ejeon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejeon
jamesclaflin wrote:Thx man, it sure looks better from that in almost every way!
Now i just need to decide, 220 for this or 150 for a 7 inch galaxy tab




One thing to consider: A 7" tablet will fit in the back pocket of your jeans, or an inside jacket pocket. A 9" means having to carry a bag. I take my G-tab everywhere and use it for everything. A bigger tablet would be next to useless for me.

jamesclaflin


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin
ejeon wrote:One thing to consider: A 7" tablet will fit in the back pocket of your jeans, or an inside jacket pocket. A 9" means having to carry a bag. I take my G-tab everywhere and use it for everything. A bigger tablet would be next to useless for me.



Thx for that, good point. But am i gunna see speed differences? Im guessing this can handle memory heavy apps better or no? Like does you tab 2 7" handle the newest store apps well?

thomas998


quality posts: 20 Private Messages thomas998

Has two major problems that people should consider. The wifi range sucks, I can go outside and sit and use my iPad but if I even go to another room with the Sony my signal goes to hell, no way it will even tr to work if I go outside. The other issue is the thing has a led on the right side of it that you just can't control. Doesn't matter what software you install to deactivate the light it will flash to tell you you have new messages or updates constantly, and at night when you are sleeping if it is in you bedroom it will nearly light the whole room. My wife stopped using hers because of the light and it now resides in the game room serving as a universal remote. I made the mistake of buying 3 for the family on woot about a year ago because they were so darned cheap. Well it was not a good deal then and they were about 250 a pop and new. I would never think this price for refurbs is a good deal.

pjeffy


quality posts: 10 Private Messages pjeffy

I did a lot of research before buying my Nexus 7. My 2nd choice was the Sony Xperia Tablet. Sony seems to upgrade their Android at a decent clip vs many of the other tablets. Also, it is downright beautiful and feels great to hold. I ended up with the N7 and the pure Google experience...but it was close.

gareed


quality posts: 2 Private Messages gareed

I've had the Xperia S since last Sept12. Last week Sony pushed Android 4.1/Jelly Bean. I wasn't expecting it but it was like getting a brand new tablet. Faster and it just really feels right. I rooted my Viewsonic gTablet and Galaxy I phone but I've seen no reason to root the Xperia S, yet. With the Xperia Tablet z coming out end of May, I may fool/look around for a rom... much later.

No plan survives execution

msrowyredhead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages msrowyredhead

I have had this tablet for a while, and I love it, with one really infuriating exception.
It drops wifi every time you blink.. in areas where every other device is working fine. Including the 13 year old's under 100 dollar coby

dartmar


quality posts: 6 Private Messages dartmar

I have the 32 bit version of this tablet that I bought on woot last year. In fact I am typing this on it. I absolutely love it. I use it every day. Unless I am playing intensive games the battery still lasts all day. In fact when I go to charge it at night it is rarely less than half full. I was worried about the proprietary charger, but this hasn't been an issue, except for when my puppy chewed up the first one. It is quick and responsive. Mine has never lost the WiFi, even from quite a distance. I have used it with my home WiFi, and my crappy virgin Mobile MiFi. It has actually picked up the signal well over 100 feet away through 2 concrete walls. I do have one problem with mine that would be fixed by a factory reset or an OS update, it lost some of the features of ICS. I didn't do the reset, because I didn't want to lose my progress in a game. I haven't received the JB update yet. I will look for it this weekend. The form is nice, though I wish the fat end was on the right. Most apps only run in two or three directions not all four. You can not run apps from the ad card, but you can keep data, music and photos on it. Mine (which is the 32 bit version) has 4 gb of internal storage, and the rest as usb storage. I was concerned with this setup, but it has worked fine, and I have had no memory concerns. It does use the play store, unlike many of the devices I have stumbled across. I have only seen1 or 2 apps that won't install it. (Pogo). I must say it is much quicker and more responsive than my daughter's tablet. I also use this with my autistic students, and it has stood up nicely. It connects to my Bluetooth keyboard easily.

kschoenberg


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kschoenberg

There's another problem with this device it is made by Sony. Ask anyone that purchased a Dash about Sony's idea of continuing support. Obviously, you're in better shape with Android, but if you think you're going to require any on-going support forget about Sony.
The WiFi issues would be a killer as well.

clanecks


quality posts: 15 Private Messages clanecks

Xperia Tablet S just received Jelly Bean update. However, also expect this to be the last update. Sony is rather bad at supporting its own products.

I am not responsible for this post.

timothyw


quality posts: 3 Private Messages timothyw

I have the slightly different Sony SGPT112US/S 32GB 9.4" Android Tablet S with Cradle, from a prior woot. My wife sometimes uses it instead of her iPad, so it's comparable; not better or even the same, but tolerable enough that she often won't walk into the other room to find her iPad and plug it in. The weaker points in mine are the speakers (and microphone) and camera--they do okay, but nothing great. The camera and microphone in my Droid Razr is noticeably better for taking short home videos of the kids playing piano than my Tablet S.

However, compared to my ancient ViewSonic gTablet, this thing is awesome. It's much more locked down than the gTablet, but much more functional.

I did our annual Holiday card on the Sony Tablet S using the $10 Photoshop app, and I have been pretty impressed. It's not a laptop replacement or ipad killer, but it's a solid tablet, and I haven't been disappointed.

pshaji


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pshaji

I have this tablet and it's pretty good except for charging, you have to take it out of the case to charge it or yank the charger out of the dock to charge it.

gak0090


quality posts: 70 Private Messages gak0090
jamesclaflin wrote:Ive always been an apple mobile guy (dont kill me!) But ive always wanted to try android OS and have been waiting and waiting for a good deal to snag something android! Did i find it?
Any comment would be great with advice!
I dont really care about the port (i never do anything with a port anyway) But is this much better than a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2?



I am going to help you come from the dark side. Today's tablet is decent, but I would recommend this for you $350. It's more expensive, but this tablet is on a whole different level with a lot more options (just google it):


ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Tablet PC NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.60GHz 10.1" Wide UXGA 1GB DDR3 Memory 32GB eMMC Flash NVIDIA ULP GeForce 1920x1200 resolution
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231027&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Tablets-_-N82E16834231027&gclid=CIri5_6r6LYCFc5cMgodCxIAQA

gak0090


quality posts: 70 Private Messages gak0090
kschoenberg wrote:There's another problem with this device it is made by Sony. Ask anyone that purchased a Dash about Sony's idea of continuing support. Obviously, you're in better shape with Android, but if you think you're going to require any on-going support forget about Sony.
The WiFi issues would be a killer as well.



You are right on about the Dash. I keep one in my bathroom to look at my calender, weather stuff, look at pictures while I'm getting ready for work- but the apps are starting to drop off 1 by 1.Flickr doesn't work any more, the calender only works sometimes. I love this device, it's a great piece of hardware with no support- perfect for what I use it for. I guess I'll just have to buy a tablet to take it's place. I agree- go with Asus, Toshiba, Acer, Samsung

morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
thomas998 wrote:Has two major problems that people should consider. The wifi range sucks, I can go outside and sit and use my iPad but if I even go to another room with the Sony my signal goes to hell, no way it will even tr to work if I go outside. The other issue is the thing has a led on the right side of it that you just can't control. Doesn't matter what software you install to deactivate the light it will flash to tell you you have new messages or updates constantly, and at night when you are sleeping if it is in you bedroom it will nearly light the whole room. My wife stopped using hers because of the light and it now resides in the game room serving as a universal remote. I made the mistake of buying 3 for the family on woot about a year ago because they were so darned cheap. Well it was not a good deal then and they were about 250 a pop and new. I would never think this price for refurbs is a good deal.



That was NOT the Xperia. it was the Tablet S (1st Gen).

That is true of all the people saying they got it on WOOT last year NEW. It is not the same tablet.

helixro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages helixro
morriea wrote:That was NOT the Xperia. it was the Tablet S (1st Gen).

That is true of all the people saying they got it on WOOT last year NEW. It is not the same tablet.



thanks for this. i was experiencing buyer's remorse and was about to cancel my impulse buy, based on reported inconsistent wifi response.

morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
helixro wrote:thanks for this. i was experiencing buyer's remorse and was about to cancel my impulse buy, based on reported inconsistent wifi response.



It is a common occurrence in these discussions on tablets here. People tend to write before they have enough information, or are just plain ignorant of the actual models. I have seen the mods need to remove tons of comments on the Galaxy Note 10.1 sale because people just do not know that one tablet is not the same as the next tablet.

This is a wonderful deal on a top notch tablet.

kaushi87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaushi87

To those who have bought refurbished tablets from woot before :
Is the touch screen still responsive ? Are there blind spots ?

currensb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages currensb

Could it be that Amazon sells Kindle?

ep11365


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ep11365
Darksoul13 wrote:The Z version will be out after may. Pre-orders are up in the Sony store UK. The US store has yet to update. I am waiting for another price drop. That proprietary connector is a big drawback, especially when you have to swap it out when you need to either charge or use an hdmi adapter.



The Xperia Z of US version will be released b4 the end of May and the price would be $499.

davidmcbeth3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcbeth3

I think woot should stop listing "refurbished" products entirely ... If I want a used product, I'll go to craigslist

Deeneaus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deeneaus
davidmcbeth3 wrote:I think woot should stop listing "refurbished" products entirely ... If I want a used product, I'll go to craigslist



You're in the minority. You go to the manufacturer sites. I'll stay and continue buying high-quality, refurbished goods.

vashley2000


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vashley2000

I bought the S tablet last year on woot! I Love love love it!!! I haven't really turned my computer on since I bought it. I am actually going to buy another one today because I want a back up!!

I did notice that it seems like one pixel is not working but it took me a month to notice it. that could have just been mine. None the less, there isn't a day that I am not on this poor tablet. I guess now I will have one for upstairs and one for downstairs!! I spoil myself!

biosylum


quality posts: 0 Private Messages biosylum

Got in on the S1 + cradle deal last year (typing on it now). Of course, it was a new unit, so the refurb thing is the only thing holding me back. I really enjoy this thing, and if I knew for sure the quality would be on par with the one I have, I wouldn't hesitate. I'd feel comfortable passing this unit along as a gift to someone, Seems as though Sony gave up on updates for this S1, but I've really had zero issues with mine. I use it all day long, and kinda gave up using my desktops/laptops for quite sometime after getting it. One caveat, never set CD's down on it. The screen reacts violently to them (fun to watch though - may force a reboot if you leave one on too long). Probably my most favorite Woot ever, if not hands down.

morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
vashley2000 wrote:I bought the S tablet last year on woot! I Love love love it!!! I haven't really turned my computer on since I bought it. I am actually going to buy another one today because I want a back up!!

I did notice that it seems like one pixel is not working but it took me a month to notice it. that could have just been mine. None the less, there isn't a day that I am not on this poor tablet. I guess now I will have one for upstairs and one for downstairs!! I spoil myself!



Have you tried one of these Apps?

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=pixel+fix&c=apps