WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sony Walkman 8GB MP3 Player

Speed to First Woot:
12m 49.664s
First Sucker:
mogard1
Last Wooter to Woot:
mhome
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 4% of Tech Woots
Top 35% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 4% of Tech Woots
Top 12% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 14% first woot
  • 6% second woot
  • 24% < 10 woots
  • 24% < 25 woots
  • 33% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 11% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 15% one year old
  • 73% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 85% bought 1
  • 11% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
4%
2%
2%
2%
3%
4%
10%
9%
9%
6%
5%
5%
3%
4%
3%
3%
2%
2%
5%
3%
4%
4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


ThunderThighs


quality posts: 505 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Walkman?

They still use that name? Huh.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 2567 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A handful of pretty good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at amazon

cappo


quality posts: 22 Private Messages cappo
ThunderThighs wrote:Walkman?

They still use that name? Huh.



The names "Walkman", "Pressman", "Watchman", "Scoopman", "Discman", and "Talkman" are trademarks of Sony, and have been applied to a wide range of portable entertainment devices manufactured by the company. The name "Walkman" was based on its precursor, the Pressman tape recorder. An initial prototype of the Walkman was in fact made by replacing the recording circuit and speaker from the Pressman with a stereo amplifier.[4] Sony continues to use the "Walkman" brand name for most of their portable audio devices, after the "Discman" name for CD players was dropped in the late 1990s. --Wikipedia

lichme


quality posts: 2292 Private Messages lichme

Dragon1291


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Dragon1291

With my lovable sansa clip finally giving out on me, I guess this looks to be a good replacement.

tsimody


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tsimody

Thanks for the unsolicited "Little known fact," Clavin.

cappo wrote:The names "Walkman", "Pressman", "Watchman", "Scoopman", "Discman", and "Talkman" are trademarks of Sony, and have been applied to a wide range of portable entertainment devices manufactured by the company. The name "Walkman" was based on its precursor, the Pressman tape recorder. An initial prototype of the Walkman was in fact made by replacing the recording circuit and speaker from the Pressman with a stereo amplifier.[4] Sony continues to use the "Walkman" brand name for most of their portable audio devices, after the "Discman" name for CD players was dropped in the late 1990s. --Wikipedia



tokuno


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tokuno

Gave my son one of these last October as a birthday gift and he loves its fidelity and the interface - really likes the indexing/menu/organizing system.

He claims the sound quality is noticeably superior to that of his iTouch, and finds the recording quality sufficient to use as a practice aid (clarinet).

Huge limitation: no expansion slot to increase the 8GB memory. He find 8GB sufficient to his music needs, but not for movies.

But I think he'd agree that at 40 some-odd bucks it's a solid value as a dedicated music player.

bhcompy


quality posts: 14 Private Messages bhcompy

...bbbuttt that's not a Sansa!

thericochet


quality posts: 24 Private Messages thericochet

Tempted to get this because after moving from a 4th Gen iPod Nano to a Sansa Clip I've been a little underwhelmed.

I've ditched Apple because a touch screen on something as little as a Nano is ridiculous. When you want to skip or pause while in the car you have to have to look down every time. So the tactile buttons on the Walkman make it tempting.

I loved the idea of the Sansa, but it's very glitchy and I have serious doubts about overall durability. The only thing the Sansa has on this is being able to add a 32gb MicroSD.

jiggersgreen


quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen
thericochet wrote:Tempted to get this because after moving from a 4th Gen iPod Nano to a Sansa Clip I've been a little underwhelmed.

I've ditched Apple because a touch screen on something as little as a Nano is ridiculous. When you want to skip or pause while in the car you have to have to look down every time. So the tactile buttons on the Walkman make it tempting.

I loved the idea of the Sansa, but it's very glitchy and I have serious doubts about overall durability. The only thing the Sansa has on this is being able to add a 32gb MicroSD.


Re: Sansa being gltchy? At last count I have about 20 asst. Sansa clips & Fuze and not one glitch in the bunch.

honeybadger12


quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

No FLAC no buy

mevande


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande

Big problem. It is not expandable. No micro sd slot if you run out of space. I have an old Sansa view, 8gb (bigger screen) and when I needed more space added a cheap 8gb sd card. Deal killer re: lack of expansion

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
jiggersgreen wrote:Re: Sansa being gltchy? At last count I have about 20 asst. Sansa clips & Fuze and not one glitch in the bunch.



Very tempted to try this Sony Walkman,but will wait to see some comments here from people who have one before I buy.
Wow,I'm a big fan of Sansa products and I have a total of six but you have 20,I have this image of all of them charging at the same time! Sadly I do have at least three flashlights for each of your Sansa players.

merlincoyote


quality posts: 1 Private Messages merlincoyote

Anybody know if this will play audio books?

kehylehr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kehylehr

I have one and I am happy with it. I use mine daily to walk/run/ride a bike and also when I commute rather than drive to work. I use it as a purely audio device and find the 8 gigs adequate for that. Software is easy to use. I have a core of my favorite music but also rip audio book CDs and listen to that with this device. Once a month or so I remove a book and put on another - easily done. Usually this works well but occasionally the software has been fooled and does not play the audio book files in the correct order. The easy fix is to remove then reinstall the files with sequential numeric file names. I like the sound quality in every mode. Hard to find portable FM receivers anymore, but I like having that as an option - battery lasts forever in that mode. It can be turned 'on' in my pocket, and occasionally I would run the battery down unknowingly until I learned to turn it off, then put on the "hold" button. I'm probably in for one more because of how much I like this device.

kehylehr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kehylehr
merlincoyote wrote:Anybody know if this will play audio books?



I have a large collection of audio book CDs. No problem to rip, install, remove and replace from this player. Sometimes the files don't play in the correct order. When this happens, I remove, rename and reload the files. Numbering the files - this player plays in the order 1, 11, 12, 13... then after 10 comes 2, 21, 22.... It was not intuitive for me, but also not too hard to figure out.

arroberts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arroberts

How well does the radio work? I like to use stuff like this when mowing the yard.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 90 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I've avoid Sony portable audio products ever since my attempt to use a consumer Discman.

Sony has a problem: they want to make music players and also own the rights to a lot of music AND have too many lawyers advising them.

So they have a history of finding ways to cripple their units to prevent what they consider over-use of music you already have.

With the Discman you HAD to use their software and, when you transferred an MP3 song from your PC, it would NOT play on your PC until you "put it back."

Are they still fooling around?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 90 Private Messages radi0j0hn
kehylehr wrote:I have a large collection of audio book CDs. No problem to rip, install, remove and replace from this player. Sometimes the files don't play in the correct order. When this happens, I remove, rename and reload the files. Numbering the files - this player plays in the order 1, 11, 12, 13... then after 10 comes 2, 21, 22.... It was not intuitive for me, but also not too hard to figure out.



FYI, my Samsung Tablet has an available audiobook player that not only plays in the correct order, it picks up where you left off even if you turn off the unit. Don't know of any tiny android units the size of one of these players, though. Maybe a smart phone?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

CatCK


quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
kehylehr wrote:I have a large collection of audio book CDs. No problem to rip, install, remove and replace from this player. Sometimes the files don't play in the correct order. When this happens, I remove, rename and reload the files. Numbering the files - this player plays in the order 1, 11, 12, 13... then after 10 comes 2, 21, 22.... It was not intuitive for me, but also not too hard to figure out.



Try ordering the first 9 files as 01, 02, 03, etc. That might help the order.

I have an older version of this player. Not being expandable is a problem. However, I do like the way the buttons are set up because they're large enough that I don't have to look down at my player while driving while changing tracks

melissa8201


quality posts: 5 Private Messages melissa8201

Does Anyone Know If This Would Be Easy Enough To Navigate For A 6 Year Old? (Said 6 Year Old Is Able To Operate His Kindle Fire Without Any Problems.) I Don't Want To Get Him Something That Is Confusing Or Frustrating For His Birthday.

Not Sure Why My Phone Is Capitalizing Every Word...Sorry :/

CatCK


quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
kehylehr wrote:I have one and I am happy with it. I use mine daily to walk/run/ride a bike and also when I commute rather than drive to work. I use it as a purely audio device and find the 8 gigs adequate for that. Software is easy to use. I have a core of my favorite music but also rip audio book CDs and listen to that with this device. Once a month or so I remove a book and put on another - easily done. Usually this works well but occasionally the software has been fooled and does not play the audio book files in the correct order. The easy fix is to remove then reinstall the files with sequential numeric file names. I like the sound quality in every mode. Hard to find portable FM receivers anymore, but I like having that as an option - battery lasts forever in that mode. It can be turned 'on' in my pocket, and occasionally I would run the battery down unknowingly until I learned to turn it off, then put on the "hold" button. I'm probably in for one more because of how much I like this device.



On the version of this player that I have, there's a "hold" switch on the side. After you turn the player off, flip that on and it'll keep you from accidently turning it on again.

glitteringloke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages glitteringloke

I have an older, 16GB model. I only use it for music, but I absolutely adore it. I haven't come close to filling it and I probably would have done fine with a 8GB (but since my 3-4 year old one is still kicking, no need for me to get a new one)

meyeet


quality posts: 0 Private Messages meyeet

Will this play music purchased through iTunes?

klandon61


quality posts: 12 Private Messages klandon61

Have a bit older model, the E-353,. Overall performs well but has one big issue, which I understand to be present on many Walkmans: The controls are twitchy and the very slightest touch turns the player on or off. Unless you find evidence that this problem is fixed, would not recommend.

zone22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zone22
meyeet wrote:Will this play music purchased through iTunes?



No it cannot play apples DRM but it can play WMP protected files. I have the 8gb NWZ-E35A for about 3 years now and love it! It's durable despite my abuse and has 40-45 hour battery life. In fact, I use it for music/audio books more the my 32gb 4th gen itouch. It works with overdrive media console. The controls are bit twitchy, but I have it set to turn off in 30 seconds if no music is playing. It has a hold swich.

djtdad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtdad

Can u do a wireless headset with these???

kazper


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kazper

I'm pretty bummed this isn't a better deal. Original price: $70 (rounded up) Woot price: $42+5. Still cheaper than Amazon ($61), but not enough of a bargain to convince me to buy even though my old MP3 player (emphasis on old) needs to be replaced. Oh well...

cage017


quality posts: 5 Private Messages cage017

I have a 4 GB model and I like it a lot. As others mentioned, it has a hold button and a radio that picks up signals rather well in my opinion. Since I use it for music and podcasts more than video, I am not at all concerned about needing more storage space.

Couple of notes:

1. The software is weird in that it tries to install the very first track of a CD right away and puts the rest in a queue ( I think it did something similar with MP3's). As long as you adjust the settings, you should be fine.

2. Does this model have a reset button? Mine came in handy for those times where I wouldn't be able to power mine up over long periods of inactivity. It's a hole small enough for a pin/safety clip to fit in.

I originally didn't know this and sent mine back to Sony for repair. Not only did it return in working order but they added new software so I had some new music tracks and a new movie trailer (before it was Happy Feet; now it was Spider-man 3).

tnokken


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tnokken

I bought one of these for my then 8/now 9 year old son last year. My review is mixed. On the negative side, the unit started to malfunction. The "hold" function would become engaged and could not be disengaged. That meant the unit essentially 'froze' on the current settings and couldn't be changed until it ran out of juice. It would return to normal once it recharged, but the problem kept recurring. I just mailed it back to Sony for a replacement. On the plus side, when it was functioning properly, it was great and my son loved it. It isn't compatible w/ iTunes, but it is with Amazon and discs I ripped. Worth a shot at this price.

RogerB


quality posts: 4 Private Messages RogerB

Wonder if this would work in a clock radio. My CD clock radio broke and I cannot find a CD clock radio with decent reviews. The trend these days are for clock radios to work with itouch, iphone, nano, etc for the music. It would be nice if this was compatible.

krychek67


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krychek67

Meh...My 120GB Zune is still kicking this things butt. ;-)

stumann666


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stumann666

How does this thing charge the battery, and how long does it run on a charge? My Sansa gets about 8hrs, but I hate the way it charges: I have to plug it into my USB port on my desktop I got one of those plug-in-the-wall USB chargers, but the Sansa won't work while charging. What happened to the days of the good old wall chargers.

zone22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zone22
stumann666 wrote:How does this thing charge the battery, and how long does it run on a charge? My Sansa gets about 8hrs, but I hate the way it charges: I have to plug it into my USB port on my desktop I got one of those plug-in-the-wall USB chargers, but the Sansa won't work while charging. What happened to the days of the good old wall chargers.



40-45 hours and run and charge from a plug-in-the-wall USB charger, but not from a computer.

Sixsmith


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sixsmith

I bought a similar model refurbed direct from Sony about a year or two ago. It was well worth the investment, the battery life is pretty solid, the screen isn't that bad. though I found the menu layout a bit odd.
The audio isn't half bad.
I built myself a speaker dock for it and use it as an alarm clock every morning, and to play music throughout the day.

If you are in the market for an MP3 player that isn't touch screen, this is the one for you!

rumblefish1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rumblefish1
krychek67 wrote:Meh...My 120GB Zune is still kicking this things butt. ;-)



HA!!!! I still use my 120GB ZUNE too!!! It kicks ass and with well over 15,000 songs, it's still far from full. Old as heck, but I still love it.

0nager


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 0nager

Is this Mac compatible?

tarheel365


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tarheel365
thericochet wrote:Tempted to get this because after moving from a 4th Gen iPod Nano to a Sansa Clip I've been a little underwhelmed.

I've ditched Apple because a touch screen on something as little as a Nano is ridiculous. When you want to skip or pause while in the car you have to have to look down every time. So the tactile buttons on the Walkman make it tempting.

I loved the idea of the Sansa, but it's very glitchy and I have serious doubts about overall durability. The only thing the Sansa has on this is being able to add a 32gb MicroSD.



Rockboxed Sansa Clip can do 64GB if you format it to Fat32.

I also found it somewhat glitchy...but certainly not very glitchy. All it takes is a quick reset and its all good. The only thing this has that loses to the Sony is the battery life. Considering the size and price I prefer the Clip especially for active uses.

pawhuska


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pawhuska

I've had a version of this walkman for 3 years now and my daughter has had one for 2 years. It's sturdy, easy to use and has been well worth the money. Go for it!