WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Samsung AIO Desktops

If you're like us, there are some items we just can't resist buying on a whim, like desktops! Sometimes we snap up one, two, or even three at a time just for the heck of it. Ya never know when you could use another desktop!

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

These are like giant deconstructed laptops. No room for expansion or upgrades. What you got is what you got. Maybe you can add a few peripherals through the USB ports, but that's about it. And then you've got a bunch of wires and boxes that ruin the elegant look on your desk that they are touting. So the point is, if you're certain that this computer will run every program you intend to use and provide all the storage that you'll need, go for it. That won't be much in 2013. 6GB of RAM and less than 1TB of storage are laptop specs. Facebook was a fad after all. And storing your data in "the cloud"? Not me. I don't want the NSA reading through my documents and checking my photos to make sure they're politically correct.

k0ugs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages k0ugs

Lucky for my wallet, none have a TV tuner.

(>.<)\m/

lorenzodemedici

k0ugs wrote:Lucky for my wallet, none have a TV tuner.

You can stream video over your home wireless network to the computer. You don't need a tuner in the computer.

lorenzodemedici

"About Samsung

Strangely enough, Sam Sung was NOT the name of Samsung's founder. Boy, wouldn't that have been a lot cooler, though? If they ever do a movie about their company, I hope they make that change. It'd be a much better story."

I have a better movie story. The name is a contraction of "Sam is Hung". You can take it from there.

k0ugs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages k0ugs
lorenzodemedici wrote:You can stream video over your home wireless network to the computer. You don't need a tuner in the computer.

Thank you, but a TV tuner (digital broadcast over the air) and streaming video over a wireless network are two vastly different things.

These AIO do not include the optional TV tuner, and as far as I can tell, it is not available to add in after the fact.

(>.<)\m/

spsmyth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spsmyth
k0ugs wrote:Thank you, but a TV tuner (digital broadcast over the air) and streaming video over a wireless network are two vastly different things.

These AIO do not include the optional TV tuner, and as far as I can tell, it is not available to add in after the fact.

I would agree about the first part. For example, my Dish Network Hopper can stream media FROM any of the Windows PCs on my WiFi network, streaming to is another story. Only to my iPad.

As to the second point, you can always get a perfectly capable external, USB tuner and hook it up to this. My fave is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR3-US. Win/Mac/Linux, you can use it for OTA broadcasts or ClearQAM cable (unencrypted cable) in 720p or 1080i. On Windows it works with Media Center, Mac uses EyeTV and Linux uses MythTV. You can also stream from your iOS devices to the box. No brainer if you ask me.

Steve S.

Former Apple tech and general IT guy.

laxiepoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laxiepoo

I bought one after reading a couple reviews online. Hope the refurb isn't a lemon =)

Woot Tang Clan

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Woot Tang Clan

Funny how only the Windows 8 desktops are left. Unfortunately I did pickup the 23.6" AIO, I have plenty of Win7 licenses that I can use from my old computers.

laxiepoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laxiepoo
Woot Tang Clan wrote:Funny how only the Windows 8 desktops are left. Unfortunately I did pickup the 23.6" AIO, I have plenty of Win7 licenses that I can use from my old computers.

Im keeping windows 8, I think the touchscreen makes a nice difference. I got the 23.6 too with win 8.

shelburnecountrystore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shelburnecountrystore

Quoted from Wootbot:
If you're like us, there are some items we just can't resist buying on a whim, like desktops! Sometimes we snap up one, two, or even three at a time just for the heck of it.

Yet you limit us to just 1.. Cruel Woot, cruel.

(/ˈkro͞oəl/Adjective
Having or showing a sadistic disregard for the pain or suffering of others.)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

shelburnecountrystore wrote:Quoted from Wootbot:
If you're like us, there are some items we just can't resist buying on a whim, like desktops! Sometimes we snap up one, two, or even three at a time just for the heck of it.

Yet you limit us to just 1.. Cruel Woot, cruel.

(/ˈkro͞oəl/Adjective
Having or showing a sadistic disregard for the pain or suffering of others.)

geversoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geversoll

Pretty awful computer. Has a hard time running basic programs and apps. Could have bought a much better laptop for the price of this. Crashes constantly, has a very hard time loading internet explorer and touch screen is mostly unresponsive all right out of the box. Hopefully new RAM and an i5 processor will make this much better.