WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

D-Link Networking Peripherals

With these D-Link wireless routers, you can turn your home into a cool coffee shop where all the hip kids are hanging out with their laptops. Of course, you need to know how to make coffee, have plenty of seating, and you might even need some sort of food-serving license, but those are all small details.

lesterhein


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lesterhein

I ordered the DIR-615 and it won't work with my HTC One X running ICS.

conman77


quality posts: 3 Private Messages conman77

There is no support for the 651 (thats the gigabit one you were looking at) with openWRT, and limited for the 615 (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615)

cocampbe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cocampbe

Which revision is the DIR-615?

brentharris


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentharris
cocampbe wrote:Which revision is the DIR-615?



I bought one of the 615s during the last DLink thing here on Woot, and the hardware revision is E3.

treehuggerguy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treehuggerguy
brentharris wrote:I bought one of the 615s during the last DLink thing here on Woot, and the hardware revision is E3.



That looks like like an easy transition to DD-WRT, anyone have any luck with that?

brentharris


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentharris
treehuggerguy wrote:That looks like like an easy transition to DD-WRT, anyone have any luck with that?



I think it's supposed to work with that hardware revision, but I haven't had a chance to try, yet.

Did fire up the router and look through the factory firmware. Was actually surprised by the amount of configuration and options.

theskylinebass


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theskylinebass

Bought a 615 last time they came around. Flashed with DDWRT and it runs beautifully as a bridged client router, allowing me to finally move all my noisy rack equipment from my closet to my basement. Signal never drops out and I am really happy with it! I am considering grabbing a couple more to use as access points or repeaters.

cocampbe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cocampbe
theskylinebass wrote:Bought a 615 last time they came around. Flashed with DDWRT and it runs beautifully as a bridged client router, allowing me to finally move all my noisy rack equipment from my closet to my basement. Signal never drops out and I am really happy with it! I am considering grabbing a couple more to use as access points or repeaters.



Sweet. That is what I was hoping for. I had bought a netgear wnr2000 as a client bridge because I already had one (v2) that has been solid for years. But the one I got was a v3 with the atheros chip. And it blows. I have it scheduled to reboot every night because it is always dropping connections.

shaun40555


quality posts: 5 Private Messages shaun40555

Does anyone know i any of these can be bridged or are ddwrt compatible? I want a cheap wireless adapter for my old xbox?

groberts1980


quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

Does anyone know if either of the routers can be converted to wireless extenders? I need to extend my wifi network into a spare room to wire in an Xbox 360.

cphipps


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cphipps

Stay away from the DIR-651. It's worthless. I should have read more about it before purchasing it.. i've essentially turned off wifi and am using it as a gig switch now.. the wifi disconnects everyone every 15 minutes or so.. This makes all windows machines throw the yellow exclimation mark for a few minutes while it's kicking everyone. It also disconnects my wireless printer, which requires me to shut off it's wifi and reconnect it each time it I need to print.. From my linux workstations, I can clearly see the wifi dump me every 15 minutes (almost to the second) in /var/log/messages. You've been warned the firmware update makes no difference and I'm not even using it as a router.. I was using it as a access point, which many people said it was only good at doing, because the hardware sucks.

cphipps


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cphipps
groberts1980 wrote:Does anyone know if either of the routers can be converted to wireless extenders? I need to extend my wifi network into a spare room to wire in an Xbox 360.



groberts, the 651 had the ability to do it, but i'd stay away.

Bogie21


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Bogie21

I know woots policy on 3-items, but could someone contact me if these 5-port switches don't sell out? I'd like to look into buying a bulk amount. Maybe 40-60 of them.

Just bought 40 on amazon 3 days ago for $17 a pop

svtguy88


quality posts: 1 Private Messages svtguy88

I bought the 651 last time around, and the Wifi does drop out a lot. When connected, the speed and such seem fine. I plan to put DD-WRT on it, as soon as I have a chance -- it seems other members have had good luck with that.

nightwingg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nightwingg
cphipps wrote:Stay away from the DIR-651. It's worthless. I should have read more about it before purchasing it.. i've essentially turned off wifi and am using it as a gig switch now.. the wifi disconnects everyone every 15 minutes or so.. This makes all windows machines throw the yellow exclimation mark for a few minutes while it's kicking everyone. It also disconnects my wireless printer, which requires me to shut off it's wifi and reconnect it each time it I need to print.. From my linux workstations, I can clearly see the wifi dump me every 15 minutes (almost to the second) in /var/log/messages. You've been warned the firmware update makes no difference and I'm not even using it as a router.. I was using it as a access point, which many people said it was only good at doing, because the hardware sucks.



I already ordered one. :/ Should I order the DIR-615 and return the other one, or just stick with it? Your opinion would be of great value and appreciated, friend.

monse2007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages monse2007

greetings, Wireless USB Adaptor is compatible with win 7 and win 8? thanks